• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Romanian PSL

Hayata

Wolf Icon
Knock it off with them negative waves Moriarity!
177   0
Reaction score
Thanks to Collin I'm now a member of the PSL club. Good guy to deal with, btw.

Today my range report comes via Norcross Gun Club and Range. Great people there. You can shoot any ammo you want as long as it isn't incendiary.

The Romanian PSL is more of a designated marksman rifle than sniper rifle. From what I've read, you need the rare and expensive Russian sniper ammo (or reload your own) to wring the last bit of accuracy out of it.

The ergonomics of the gun are a little unusual to use the scope. You can get a nice normal cheek weld when using the irons but you use more of a chin weld when shooting the scope. Takes a little getting used to but not uncomfortable at all.

The gun warms up QUICKLY. The pencil-thin barrel gets hot in no time. Lots of powder being burned getting the 7.62x54R round down the tube. From what I've read, the accuracy falls off when she's hot. I didn't really test this today.

And, realistically speaking you need a long distance range to "stretch her legs" so I'll have to add later when I can shoot outdoors. The things I can comment on are what I experienced today.

The recoil on this gun is VERY manageable. I'm guessing the muzzle brake is doing it's job. It kicks a bit more than a 5.56 but a lot less than an M1A. I shot probably 80 rounds without any soreness. Don't get me wrong, when the trigger is pulled there is a bright flash and LOUD report, the gun comes back but it's not painful.

I zeroed the iron sights with the scope still on the gun. Then to the 4-power scope. You aim through an inverted "V" type chevron. The scope seems mounted very well to the gun with little/no drift. I left it where it was. I was mainly shooting for groups. The scope seems well made and has good glass.

Magazine capacity is 10 rounds of 7.62x54R. A very healthy round.

I've always been crazy for thumbhole stocks and this one doesn't disappoint. It has a unique look and I think it is sexy. Some others don't like the stock but I think it sets it apart from everything else out there.

AK reliable. One of the mags I had sat a little low in the receiver and the round would fail to feed. 3 times out of 80 and it was due to the one mag. Dremel time.

You can see how she shoots below. I'm pretty happy so far. Especially since the ammo is so affordable. I can actually afford to shoot this one on a regular basis. I'm hoping to get the groups tighter when a little more experience with the gun. Groups not so great for a 25 yard range off of a bench.

So, I whole-heartily recommend this gun. Cheap and fun way to shoot the venerable 7.62x54R round.

Attachments

• PSL 007.jpg
    PSL 007.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 28
  • PSL 008.jpg
    PSL 008.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 29
  • PSL 009.jpg
    PSL 009.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 34
Thanks for the links and comments. I had a grin on my face for a couple of hours after shooting yesterday at lunch. She really tames the 7.62x54R round. I really didn't want to add another caliber to the stable but this one I can actually afford to shoot.

For you other owners out there I've found a couple of good links myself. I have not used either of these sites so I cannot personally recommend them.

This place looks like they have a great selection of scopes and mounts. http://kalinkaoptics.com/

This place has a great looking alternative stock if you want to change the quirky ergonomics of the thumb hole stock to something more conventional. http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEWPSL_2.html

Can't wait to get her outside to shoot...

Back
Top Bottom