• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rookie needs a little help

Slide also looks to be flat(parkerized) not shiny with the plastic-looking finish. But that's not for sure with that pic.

It's the cusp area between 2nd and 3rd gen. Most people call it Gen 2.5, but it's also known as "early 3rd generation" due to the finger grooves and thumb rests.

Third generation models

In the late 1990s, the frame was further modified with an accessory rail (called the "Universal Glock rail") to allow the mounting of laser sights, tactical lights, and other accessories. Thumb rests on both sides of the frame and finger grooves on the front strap were added. Glock pistols with these upgrades are informally referred to as (early) "third generation" models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock

If you take it to Glock in Smyrna, they will, at no charge, go through it, replacing any worn or even "suspect" parts and at request(also at no charge)replace the slide stop with the extended version. They will also put an extended mag release in free but on a CC gun I personally do not recomend it. It sticks out a bit far and has a very sharp profile that hurts close to the skin. I had it done on one of my Glock 27's and ended up having to take a nail file to the corners of it to take the bite out.

Night sights are $61 installed and have a 15 year(I think) warranty. Oh, if yours has the smooth face extractor they will most likely automatically replace it with the "loaded chamber indicator" extractor for free too.

Incidentally, if you didn''t already know you can use magazines from the Glock 19 and 17 in it as well. They make finger spacers to give the longer mag a more ergonomic feel which helps if you carry with the longer mags as I do. I carry a G27 with a G23 mag. You can also use the 33 round magazine in it.

As I understand it, only the SUB-compacts had the uncheckered finger grooves. Gen 2 full size(17/21) and compacts(19/23) had checkered UN-grooved front straps.

SO Gen2 WAS the sub-compacts first generation. The 2.5 was the sub-compacts gen 2 catching them up so that Gen3 was gen 3 for all of them...and now I'm dizzy. ;)

I'm dizzy too!!! Thanks for all the info. I took it to glock about 5 yrs ago and they cleaned and checked it out. Said it was fine. I think i've shot maybe one clip thru it since then.

Back
Top Bottom