RPM Act/S.2602

57fairlane

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
74   0
Reaction score
I know there's a bit of crossover between the motorsports industry and the firearms industry, but if you aren't aware, the EPA got pissed off enough with the diesel guys who roll coal that they've pried the door open into banning aftermarket tuners/parts/emissions deletes.

The emission delete part is important because now, just like our friends at BATFE, they needed a simple letter/ruling and it opens a door to continue to expand their powers. The EPA doesn't want to stop at emissions controls for on-road vehicles, they want to regulate ANY car that was originally a street-going production vehicle and then converted into a track-only car.

So that includes your test n tune/Saturday night stuff at every drag strip and circle track around you as well as previously exempt cars based on age/antique status.

Any aftermarket parts would have to meet CAFE/EPA standards, etc. Basically completely unnecessary bureaucratic red tape.

I signed SEMA's (Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association) petition at:

https://www.sema.org/epa-news

What's interesting to me is the letter I got back from my representative, Rep. Carolyn Bordeaux:

'Thank you for taking the time to contact me and express your support for the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act. In response to your and others letters, my staff and I looked into this legislation, and I am pleased to report that I will be cosponsoring this bill when it is reintroduced in the 117th Congress.

The RPM Act allows people to convert street vehicles into dedicated race cars and legalizes emission-related changes when cars are used specifically for this purpose. My husband, son and I have enjoyed visiting some of the local speedways - so I know it is a fun activity!

This bill was introduced in the 116th Congress (2019-2020) but has not yet been reintroduced in the 117th Congress (2021-2022). However, I have talked with Rep. Patrick McHenry, the sponsor of this bill, and I let him know that I would like to be added as a cosponsor when he reintroduces this legislation later this year.

Thank you again for taking the time to reach out, and please do not hesitate to contact me again about this or other issues.'

I didn't vote for her but I was honestly surprised to see her take such a rational position. Warnock and Ossoff gave a typical politician reply which isn't worth posting here.

So if you care about the over-reach here by the EPA at all, it seems to be worthwhile to at least hear from your rep on where they stand.

Back
Top Bottom