• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger 44 Mag Carbine Ammo Suggestions

buckeroo

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
45   0
Reaction score
Just like the title says, I am looking for ammo suggestions for my 80's Ruger 44 Mag Carbine. I have read they were specifically designed for 240 grain jacketed rounds that are a little hotter than handgun rounds.

Anyone care to suggest from experience a good, reliable and accurate round you have found? Gonna take it hog hunting in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pretty much any good 240 HP ammo will do fine.. the 240s just feed better than any 180 I've ever seen.

deer killing son of a gun out to 100 yds

pretty much any good 240 HP ammo will do fine.. the 240s just feed better than any 180 I've ever seen.

deer killing son of a gun out to 100 yds

Thanks! I hear everyone say that. I have a funny story about my dad hunting with this gun once back in the late 80s. I even remember the particular buck. Back then, who knows what dad was shooting from it, but he said it took 4 or 5 shots to knock the deer down. He said he kept shooting and the deer kept running. When cleaning the deer we found all the rounds lodged inside. I remember dad saying something to the effect of, "this thing aint got no deer killin' power to it."

Funny because the next rifle was a brand new Browning A Bolt .308 that I admired so fervently for the next couple of years, he finally broke and gave it to me. Now 20 something years later and dozens and dozens of deer and hogs, I wouldnt take $100,000 for my .308. Still hunt with it every year!

I've been loading for mine! Had problems with most factory stuff. It would fire and eject but didn't load up from mag tube. Found good hot load and works great!

44 mag ammo should be with in SAAMI loading pressures, so there really is no factory rifle 44 mag VS pistol 44 mag, now some may be hotter than others but the round should be safe in any 44 mag.
I doubt that you can shoot a round out of the old carbine that a Ruger/ Dan Wesson pistol would not handle as well.
anyway, when I had mine and used it for Deer hunting I loaded a Speer Keith style half jacketed hollow point for it, think it was a 220 grainer?? not available any longer.
If I were going hog hunting I would try to find a 220-240 grain Flat point type projectile myself if it will feed in your particular rifle..
these old carbines had a zillion parts and not the best recoil system in them so they did get picky about function over years of use so that could be a problem as well.

Just like the title says, I am looking for ammo suggestions for my 80's Ruger 44 Mag Carbine. I have read they were specifically designed for 240 grain jacketed rounds that are a little hotter than handgun rounds.

Anyone care to suggest from experience a good, reliable and accurate round you have found? Gonna take it hog hunting in a few weeks.
Not sure if there's a hotter hunting load. http://www.hornady.com/store/44-mag-225-gr-ftx-leverevolution/

Back
Top Bottom