• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger 77/44 for $399 at cabelas.

Picked mine up today also. Wish I would have also bought more than one!
IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG

This Ruger 77/44 has a 1:20 rifling twist rate, which should be ideal for stabilizing 300+ grain bullets.
That would make me want to thread the barrel for a .44 / .45 Colt /.454 /.458 SOCOM rated can.

A .30 rifle with subsonic ammo won’t use bullets any heavier than about 220 gr.
With a .44 bore rifle, you could bump up the bullet mass to nearly double that, keep the same muzzle velocity at around 1050 f.p.s., and thump the deer with a silent strike that’s got a half-ton of kinetic energy.

I've had a ruger 96/44 (lever action) for a long time. The plan is to thread it and put a Ghost can on the end and shoot 300gr subs. I picked up a 300gr 44 mold from Lee and should have a good setup in the near future. Shooting 44 subs will be goo, basically any 300gr projectile will be subsonic unless you really max it out. I need to check the twist on my barrel but I assume they haven't changes them in years.

Picked mine up today, went much smoother and faster than last go round. I had hoped to use the iron sites on this one but my eyes aren't gonna pick that up in a hunting situation

Back
Top Bottom