• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger Charger mares leg grip length without creating an SBR?

redtail

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
I can not find anything in the law on a Max Length of a pistol because it does not seem to exist ( due to barrel length non restricted.). However what dictates how much of the 10/22 stock I have to cut off to keep from creating an SBR if I want to create a mares leg type pistol out of my Charger?

There are some laws referring to total length under 26", but it is not clear if this just classifies it as a firearm "other" or remains a pistol.

thank s for the help.

What makes something a rifle is that it is held up to the shoulder while firing. That's why ARs that leave the factory with arm braces and just pistol buffer tubes are still considered pistols regardless of barrel length.

The tricky part of what you're doing is that the firearm was originally manufactured (ie: left the factory) as a rifle, and was transferred from the manufacturer to the dealer, and then from the dealer to you on ATF forms that designated that serial numbered receiver as a rifle. You can't change it to a pistol, you can only change it to a SBR (bbl <16", or OAL <26"), or an awkward handling/ugly rifle (bbl >16" and OAL >26")

That's how those manufacturers are getting away with non-nfa "shotguns" that have barrels less than 18". ATF definition of a shotgun includes that it be fired from the shoulder. Because they left the factory with a pistol grip they were technically never shotguns, they were designated simply as "firearms". Even though if you took a regular full size shotgun, cut the barrel down to the same length and swapped out the buttstock for the same pistol grip... You'd be making a SBS. It's all in the paperwork.

ETA: OK, theory above is correct if starting with a rifle. But the Ruger Charger is a pistol to start with. As long as you don't add a shoulder stock to it you won't be creating a SBR. Look at the Henry Mare's Leg, or the Rossi Ranch Hand for examples of what your stock should look like to avoid trouble.

ok i think i have what your wanting to do undertood. your wanting to take your charger (factory pistol) and put it into a 10/22 stock but chop the stock off to give it a mares leg grip, correct? i would think that as long as you cut off enough for it in no way to be shouldered you would be ok, i would personally cut it right behind the grip and round it off. dont take my word as law though, i've never done any real research on this

ok i think i have what your wanting to do undertood. your wanting to take your charger (factory pistol) and put it into a 10/22 stock but chop the stock off to give it a mares leg grip, correct? i would think that as long as you cut off enough for it in no way to be shouldered you would be ok, i would personally cut it right behind the grip and round it off. dont take my word as law though, i've never done any real research on this
26" oal however you gets it
Use a charger
IMG_6106.JPG

Sorry for going off subject beforehand.....but didn't I read somethin on here about a pistol brace that is legal to shoulder?? I can't find the thread now = Reason for the question here. And , Oh , NICE JD ,as always

Sorry for going off subject beforehand.....but didn't I read somethin on here about a pistol brace that is legal to shoulder?? I can't find the thread now = Reason for the question here. And , Oh , NICE JD ,as always
It was a closed letter as far as I knew written to SB Tactical in regards to their braces which now days are crazy. Like PDW style and slim line etc. A closed letter is supposed to reference that companies specific product and none else but honestly you're g2g all day. I got shockwaves on all my form 1 garages and ain't skeered!
Don't quote me verbatim but it was something like "the occasional shouldering of the SB Tactical brace product doesn't reconstruct the weapon to an SBR" ish?

What makes something a rifle is that it is held up to the shoulder while firing. That's why ARs that leave the factory with arm braces and just pistol buffer tubes are still considered pistols regardless of barrel length.

The tricky part of what you're doing is that the firearm was originally manufactured (ie: left the factory) as a rifle, and was transferred from the manufacturer to the dealer, and then from the dealer to you on ATF forms that designated that serial numbered receiver as a rifle. You can't change it to a pistol, you can only change it to a SBR (bbl <16", or OAL <26"), or an awkward handling/ugly rifle (bbl >16" and OAL >26")

That's how those manufacturers are getting away with non-nfa "shotguns" that have barrels less than 18". ATF definition of a shotgun includes that it be fired from the shoulder. Because they left the factory with a pistol grip they were technically never shotguns, they were designated simply as "firearms". Even though if you took a regular full size shotgun, cut the barrel down to the same length and swapped out the buttstock for the same pistol grip... You'd be making a SBS. It's all in the paperwork.

ETA: OK, theory above is correct if starting with a rifle. But the Ruger Charger is a pistol to start with. As long as you don't add a shoulder stock to it you won't be creating a SBR. Look at the Henry Mare's Leg, or the Rossi Ranch Hand for examples of what your stock should look like to avoid trouble.

I am starting with a charger pistol.

Back
Top Bottom