• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger LCR .357 MAG

one hogman

Default rank <5 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Just got out with the newest version of the Ruger LCR in .357 mag the gun is 17 ounces in .38 it is about 14, 17 is plenty light when you touch the trigger on a mag load,it does jump but the Hogue grips [ factory] do help a lot, the gun's light DAO action is nice and holds on target well, I got groups a lot better than expected at ten yards with plus P .38s and .357 mag loads and they grouped very close to the same point of impact, I recommend this little gun for anyone that wants a small powerhouse defense gun that shoots well, and is dead on reliable, while many will stock theirs with plus P .38s why have a magnum gun if you don't load it as such, I like it!!

Ive heard nothing but good things about the LCRs but personally I just cant get over the feel of the gun. It just feels cheap and sloppy. I absolutely love my LCP though.

I just picked up an LCR in .38 +P. I am also very impressed with the weight and ability to manage recoil.

Regarding .357 in snub revolvers, I can think of several valid reasons to not use the .357 vs a .38 +P load. Most .357 loadings use a slower burning powder, which will result in a huge muzzleflash, noticable loss of velocity, which will affect penetration and expansion. Noise is another major factor, as well as overpressure in tight quarters. About the only reason I prefer a snub revolver chambered in .357 vs .38 is the longer ejector rod makes getting empty cases out of the cylinder easier when reloading under stress.

Wheeler

Regarding .357 in snub revolvers, I can think of several valid reasons to not use the .357 vs a .38 +P load. Most .357 loadings use a slower burning powder, which will result in a huge muzzleflash, noticable loss of velocity, which will affect penetration and expansion.

That might have been true 10-15 years ago...but new technology in bullets and powders have pretty much cured those ills out a snubnose. Speer 135-grain Short Barrel .357's are engineered to penetrate and expand at the lower snubby velocitys...and I carry them in my snubs.

As to the LCR's...I just can get used to the feel of them either. And they are no lighter than S&W Airweights...so why bother with plastic?

To each his own...that's why S&W, Ruger, etc. are all still in business. ;)

About the only reason I prefer a snub revolver chambered in .357 vs .38 is the longer ejector rod makes getting empty cases out of the cylinder easier when reloading under stress.
Wheeler

This is true, but honestly if you have to reload a snub nosed revolver under stress you are in some seriously deep sh*t to begin with so I wouldnt call it a deal breaker. 5 shots should be enough to either stop the threat or at least get to a better weapon.

This is true, but honestly if you have to reload a snub nosed revolver under stress you are in some seriously deep sh*t to begin with so I wouldnt call it a deal breaker. 5 shots should be enough to either stop the threat or at least get to a better weapon.

I pocket carry an LCR and 10 extra rounds. I always load from the strips when I practice it is getting to be a natural thing.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 3,262
  • DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 672
That might have been true 10-15 years ago...but new technology in bullets and powders have pretty much cured those ills out a snubnose. Speer 135-grain Short Barrel .357's are engineered to penetrate and expand at the lower snubby velocitys...and I carry them in my snubs.

As to the LCR's...I just can get used to the feel of them either. And they are no lighter than S&W Airweights...so why bother with plastic?

To each his own...that's why S&W, Ruger, etc. are all still in business. ;)

Aren't those loads at the same velocity as a .38 +P? If so, what's the advantage?

That's pretty much true of any handgun that's suitable for CCW. No ammo is perfect, be it reloads or factory. I would prefer to be proficient in reloading, practicing failure drills, etc. than not. I do not depend on the cowardice of my attacker(s), or the intimidation factor of my itty, bitty pocket gun, but rather, training, accuracy, and the ability to continue to place rounds on target after the first 5 shots.

I like this gun because it's one of the few snubbies you can actually shoot 357 out of on a (fairly) regular basis without crippling your hands. The polymer frame really does soak up a good bit of the recoil. I know lots of folks use the +P 38 spl out of 357s, but with this gun you can really take advantage of much better performance and terminal ballistics of the 357. If you shoot a good quality SD round, you get very manageable flash and recoil.

The LCR is also pretty accurate for a snub, and mine shoots right to point of aim at 8-10 yards. I did try the CT laser grips on this, but after a while realized that the Houge grips that came with it were more comfortable, and I was instinctively using the iron sights anyways on speed drills, so they were just a waste.

Back
Top Bottom