• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger LCR .357 MAG

I like this gun because it's one of the few snubbies you can actually shoot 357 out of on a (fairly) regular basis without crippling your hands. The polymer frame really does soak up a good bit of the recoil. I know lots of folks use the +P 38 spl out of 357s, but with this gun you can really take advantage of much better performance and terminal ballistics of the 357. If you shoot a good quality SD round, you get very manageable flash and recoil.

The LCR is also pretty accurate for a snub, and mine shoots right to point of aim at 8-10 yards. I did try the CT laser grips on this, but after a while realized that the Houge grips that came with it were more comfortable, and I was instinctively using the iron sights anyways on speed drills, so they were just a waste.

Wanna get rid of those CT grips?

Wheeler

I like my LCR 357. I also have the Taurus 617 in stainless steel, so that's my reference. The LCR is much lighter. The Taurus feels smoother opening and closing the cylinder, and overall just feels more solid. But then it's solid steel. The LCR is much easier to carry concealed. But it's easier to handle full 357 loads in the Taurus. Speer 135 gr 357 mag short barrel rounds are manageable in the LCR but I wouldn't want to spend an hour at the range shooting them from the LCR.

For now, I'm carrying the 38 special +P version of the Speer 135 gr GD in the LCR, and the 357 mag version of that round in the Taurus. Despite what a lot of people think those 357's are more powerful than the 38 +P's -- fully 33% more KE based on the Speer velocity data. Some folks have reported that they get more velocity than Speer claims from these rounds. I'll be trying out my new ProChrono the next time I have time to drive to an outdoor range so we'll see how they do in my guns.

I added the XS Sight Systems standard dot sight to my LCR. It's a great upgrade for HD or for dark parking lots. Take my advice, and don't try the installation yourself. Take it to a gunsmith.

The one advantage to buying the LCR 357 Mag and shooting 38 Special is better managed recoil for women shooters. There is a noticable difference when shooting 38's out of a snub nose that weighs only 13 oz when compared to one that weighs 17 oz. I have and carry a LCR in 38 Special and love it.

hey guys, i have a lcr in 38sp and have a question. first of all i dont have that much experience with revolvers so i hope this is not stupid question. when i go to eject empty brass after shooting the casing are "almost" stuck in cylinder, is this normal for new gun?. i have to really work the ejecter rod thing and still it is very difficult to get them out. the gun has less than 75 rounds through so far. not sure if it needs to be properly broken in or what.......any info would be great guys. thanks nick

I never expected the LCR .357 to be so accurate! The .357 definitely has some snap, but it's not unbearable, and with .38 +p loads it's piece of cake to shoot. The Hogue grip is just about perfect. The trigger is easy to stage and that really increases accuracy. My wife carries it, but I want one as a BUG.

Back
Top Bottom