• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ruger New Model Blackhawk

jimireece

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
15   0
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that this review will not be technical. I do not own a chronograph nor have I made up any hand loads that give me super consistent accuracy and I have not gone looking for velocities and trajectory information in print or online. The best I can do is to give the humble opinion and personal experiences of an amateur shooter and hunter.
When I started looking to buy a pistol almost two years ago, I had a long list of requirements. I wanted a caliber that was powerful enough to work on medium to large game and double as a personal defense weapon. I also wanted the gun to be tame enough for my wife to feel comfortable shooting. I needed a sturdy, reliable all around work pistol. A pistol to carry as a hunting side arm for varmints and snakes, but still store in the night stand for home protect. I also wanted a broad selection of factory loads. I do not reload for lack of equipment and space, so having a good selection in a single caliber at any sports store was important. I settled on a revolver style pistol because it is easier to clean and maintain. This decision was because I wanted my wife to be able to use and maintain it and bless her heart but she could never put a semi-auto back together. I found a Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible on the GON trader forum for a great price. As soon as I got the pistol home I broke it down completely and cleaned it thoroughly. I was impressed by how easy it was to reassemble the inner working. The cylinder was nice and tight and the trigger had a clean break. The model I bought was a 4.5” barrel single action only, bored in .357 magnum and came with an interchangeable 9mm luger cylinder. I had read online some criticism of the interchangeable cylinders accuracy level. I do not have any hard numbers or grouping to back my opinion up but, I can drill a coke can at 15 yards with either cylinder and that’s good enough for me. I really enjoy the versatility that comes from having two loads in one gun. I can shoot all day on 9mm at the range and in less than a minute swap to .357 mags and go deer hunting on the way home. I start my wife shooting 115 grain FMJ 9mm luger, then swap to 158 grain JHP .357 mags and hand the gun to a buddy and heckle him for not being as smooth a shooter as my wife.
The only downside to this pistol is the weight. This is by far the heaviest 9mm you will ever strap on. While this helps when shooting hot loaded .357 mags, it makes a chore out of carrying the pistol all day through the woods. I love this pistol and highly recommend it and other Ruger’s to friend looking to buy a revolver. It works well as a reliable, versatile all around duty pistol.

Most of us ARE amateur shooters. I've had no offers of money for my blasting skills. IMHO, your review carries far more weight with me than one stuffed full of tech and numbers. Sure, sometimes numbers are what is wanted or needed, but I'd rather have the gut feeling of a fellow shooter.

I have owned Old Model and New Model Ruger Blackhawks in .357 &.41 magnum,.45 Colt and .44 magnum over the years. They were all tough as nails, acceptably accurate and functionally flawlessly. A man carrying a Blackhawk is a well armed man!! Thank you Bill Ruger!

Last edited:
You can also use .38 special in that .357 cylinder , that gives you a third caliber. These Rugers are great guns. I have had more than a few of them in all sorts of calibers, lengths etc., Great choice and good thread !

Back
Top Bottom