Ruger Precision Rimfire and 22 Shorts

445   1
Reaction score
Picked up a few modded 10 round Ruger mags to feed 22 shorts out of my RPR. A few reasons why I did this but the main reason is the beautiful sound of silence. Bolt action, suppressed, shooting shorts should be barely as loud as mosquitos procreating.

Question is, would there be any issues getting the projectile down and out of the barrel? Any other potential issues you can think of?

There are .22LR rounds specifically made to be shot suppressed, without any of the drawbacks of shooting Shorts. CCI Quiet, for instance.

I guess Shorts would be cheaper, and possibly easier to find.

There are .22LR rounds specifically made to be shot suppressed, without any of the drawbacks of shooting Shorts. CCI Quiet, for instance.

I guess Shorts would be cheaper, and possibly easier to find.
I picked up the mags because as much 22lr as I have, I have just as many shorts.

Hard to find the quiet stuff nowadays (at an actual fair price) as well.

what's the velocity and bullet weight of the shorts?

typically if you look at something like the Aguilla Colibri they recommend NOT shooting them in rifles because there may not be enough velocity to clear the barrel. They are just over 400fps (according to their info). They also make the Super Colibri that are fine in rifles, and they clock in around 590fps. Both of these are with a 20gr bullet.

For reference CCI Quiet is about 710fps with a 40 gr bullet. CCI Quiet Semi is around 835fps with a 45gr bullet. Cycles most semi auto pistols and rifles I've tried. CCI standard is around 1070fps with a 40gr bullet. In pistols with a <4.5" barrel they always stay subsonic. In rifles they may or may not be subsonic, depends upon temps and rifle.

also as StuP said if you plan to shoot anything besides shorts, you'll have to give the chamber a good cleaning. I had a Savage Rascal that I shot the calibri out of for a few months with my daughter. Then we went to Ohio to the farm and I was going to have her shoot standard 22lr ammo and I couldn't get it to chamber. Should have cleaned it out before out trip. Let her shoot my Magnum Research MLR22ATUT with a nice scope and can. Now she doesn't want to shoot "her" rifle any more. That'll teach me. :doh:

Back
Top Bottom