Ruger Security 9 mini review

Yeah, at the price point it really is.

My dad picked it up, and he has not really shot in 40 years or so... He put it out at 8 yards and first mag, held a 3" group. Never shot it before, had no idea what the trigger would be like. Just a very intuitive gun. My wife put rounds downrange with similar results. 250 rounds down the barrel and not a single hiccup. It shoots great, its real smooth, points naturally and it's a Ruger... meaning well built, tough, and if you have a problem they will take care of you.

One of the pistols I regret getting rid of was my SR9c... great ergo's, haven't felt a pistol that melted into my hand like it since, and accuracy was spot on with low recoil and a better than average trigger. I just couldn't keep it with the magazine safety, and I didn't want to be that guy that got raked over the coals for using a pistol with a deleted safety feature. I wish they would have released a version without it. I'd still be carrying it to this day.

Meh, I don't worry about the safety. It's there if I want to use it at the range and I ignore it the rest of the time. The reality is that any of us not in law enforcement have as much of a chance of being in a gun fight and having the safety accidentally on, as we do of winning the power ball lottery.

Meh, I don't worry about the safety. It's there if I want to use it at the range and I ignore it the rest of the time. The reality is that any of us not in law enforcement have as much of a chance of being in a gun fight and having the safety accidentally on, as we do of winning the power ball lottery.

External safety I don't mind, especially if it's low-profile as these are. I was talking about the magazine disconnect safety that won't allow the gun to fire if the magazine isn't fully inserted.

External safety I don't mind, especially if it's low-profile as these are. I was talking about the magazine disconnect safety that won't allow the gun to fire if the magazine isn't fully inserted.

Ohhh.... Yeah, those I don't like. Can you disable it, like you can on the Bersa Thunder 380's? Remove a spring and voila?

You can, and it only takes a minute or so, but I wouldn't recommend carrying around a pistol that you deleted a manufactured safety mechanism from... not a lawyer, just my $0.02.

I'd CARRY a gun that I disconnected the magazine safety on, but I wouldn't leave such a weapon unsecured in my house or car when I'm not there.
I also would not SELL or TRADE any gun that had a disabled safety feature. I'd have to restore the gun to factory specs with regard to safeties before I let somebody else have it.

Anyhow, back to the Ruger Security 9: I held and dry-fired one at Dahlonega Gold & Pawn today.
It felt good in my hand. Better ergonomics than a Glock, but otherwise very similar in size and thickness to a Glock 19. The sights on the Ruger are excellent for defense out to 25 yards. The rear sight notch is unusually wide, which makes for fast acquisition. The Ruger's trigger was so short and light, it felt more like a single-action trigger (on a cheap gun or mil-surp pistol) than most safe-action striker-fired guns' triggers.

Back
Top Bottom