• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

S&W 642 chipped breech face?

outdoorsman4880

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
135   0
Reaction score
I shot with my 642 today for practice. I ran 50 rds of Tulammo 130 gr fmj steelcase rounds. The gun ran fine and I poked the cases out since they were sticky. I got home and noticed a bit of chipping near and on the firing pin bushing. Has anyone had this happen before? This is the oddest thing I've seen.

Attachments

• IMG_20220715_191002502~2.jpg
    IMG_20220715_191002502~2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 38
That looks more like a build-up of fouling than chipping--Hit it with a brass or bronze Toothbrush wetted with a little Gun Cleaning Solvent & see if it comes off--BTW, your Smith & Wesson is a very well-made, high-quality Weapon & deserves better than cheap Russian steel-cased Ammo...

That looks more like a build-up of fouling than chipping--Hit it with a brass or bronze Toothbrush wetted with a little Gun Cleaning Solvent & see if it comes off--BTW, your Smith & Wesson is a very well-made, high-quality Weapon & deserves better than cheap Russian steel-cased Ammo...
Sounds like an idea. 💡. I used the ruskie stuff since I didn't have too much brass case .38 range ammo and got a bunch of steel case .38 at my work. Thanks. 👍

Very weird that you'd post this. We just got back from the range, also using tulammo, and noticed my little IA 68 was a bit snappier than normal. I wonder if they had a run of hot loads? This was my first time shooting Tulammo. If it turns out it's just fouling, post back and let me know. I don't want to toss 1000 rounds of ammo, no matter how cheap it was.

I've shot a lot of TulAmmo over the years and its been my experience they have always seemed to be on the hotter side for the caliber. That said, I still shoot it without hesitation.

Back
Top Bottom