• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 Opinions for .22lr Brick Giveaway!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the ruger gp100 will be cheaper and have less finishing work done to it then a smith&wesson. so if you want quality and a great finish inside and out get a smith&wesson, it will also retain it value better as well

but if you don't want to spend as much money and don't mind some lack of finishing work on the parts you can't see when the cylinders closed get the ruger

Last edited:
Shot both but only own Smith and Wesson revolvers. I like the quality, trigger, and feel of the Smith. I will only buy a pre-lock Smith as I believe that these will also go up in value. I would go for a snub nose if you can find one.they shoot nicely to point of aim. Great CCW choice!

Last edited:
I think the facts are evident in the previous posts. S&W makes a better "out of the box" revolver. Ruger offers more value. You could pay for a trigger job on the Ruger and have an equal quality (and total cost) firearm. They are essentially tied.

As for the compelling argument one way or the other... It has nothing to do with the guns. If you can only afford one revolver, get a S&W. If you can only afford 2 revolvers, make the second a Ruger. Since you already have S&W's the choice is clear. Get the Ruger. Both companies are classic American companies and both make classic revolvers. To have a collection that includes only one of them is a shame.

When you take a firearm home (new or used), you're not just adding another item to your house. You yourself are becoming part of the history of that firearm and the company that made it. You're supporting the people that designed and built that firearm. You're helping to ensure that firearm, the company, and the people are able to continue on to provide the same experience to others. Ruger and the GP100 deserve your support.

If you're looking for a revolver and you don't own a Ruger, I don't just think it's a good choice to purchase one, think think it's your duty as an American to purchase one.

If you already have a Ruger, then flip a coin ;)

Been a while since I have experienced a good wheel gun, I would have to go with the Smith if selecting from theses two however, I prefer a good Ruger black hawk or red hawk 6".

I think the facts are evident in the previous posts. S&W makes a better "out of the box" revolver. Ruger offers more value. You could pay for a trigger job on the Ruger and have an equal quality (and total cost) firearm. They are essentially tied.

As for the compelling argument one way or the other... It has nothing to do with the guns. If you can only afford one revolver, get a S&W. If you can only afford 2 revolvers, make the second a Ruger. Since you already have S&W's the choice is clear. Get the Ruger. Both companies are classic American companies and both make classic revolvers. To have a collection that includes only one of them is a shame.

When you take a firearm home (new or used), you're not just adding another item to your house. You yourself are becoming part of the history of that firearm and the company that made it. You're supporting the people that designed and built that firearm. You're helping to ensure that firearm, the company, and the people are able to continue on to provide the same experience to others. Ruger and the GP100 deserve your support.

If you're looking for a revolver and you don't own a Ruger, I don't just think it's a good choice to purchase one, think think it's your duty as an American to purchase one.

If you already have a Ruger, then flip a coin ;)

Now that's compelling and what I'm looking for in this thread. I do not currently own a Ruger. Like I mentioned before I only own and have only owned Smiths. And really because my grandpa put a Smith in my hand when I was 21 as my first handgun and I've never had cheating eyes for another. :cool:

Shot both but only own Smith and Wesson revolvers. I like the quality, trigger, and feel of the Smith. I will only buy a per-lock Smith as I believe that these will also go up in value. I would go for a snub nose if you can find one.they shoot nicely to point of aim. Great CCW choice!

Yeah so my choice would be a 2" or 2.5" snubby. I currently CCW a Smith and Wesson model 37 .38special. Love it. But I'd like to have the option of shooting a more powerful round so going up to at .357 would allow me to shoot both and the .38 special in +p. Can't do that now with my model 37. Only regular .38 special.

Just my $.02

Nice to meet you yesterday!

I think izoid put it well. One is a great gun the other is a great value. I can only speak to the Smith. She is buttah smooth and an amazing shooter.

My week is pretty hosed this week but send me a PM and I can meet you at NGC and you are more than welcome to shoot it.

It was great meeting you yesterday too bud. Hope you enjoy the 9mm's and thanks for the smokes. I thought there were only 2 in there but realized my bro took 2 of them and was smoking one last night when I went to his place haha. Thanks again!!!

It was great meeting you yesterday too bud. Hope you enjoy the 9mm's and thanks for the smokes. I thought there were only 2 in there but realized my bro took 2 of them and was smoking one last night when I went to his place haha. Thanks again!!!

Thank you for the 9mm!

Good luck making your decision! Tough one, for sure.

Hit me up next week if you want to shoot the Smith. We'll prolly be at NGC around lunch on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom