• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

S&W M&P 15 Sport II mags won’t drop free

MAK

Hen of Fame Supporter
GGT Founder
58   0
Reaction score
I just purchased a new Smith & Wesson M&P 15 sport II.
When I got it home I realized that the Magpul magazine that came with it fits tight and does not drop free. I tried some different Magpul magazines I’ve had for a while and they also fit tight and do not drop free when the mag release button is depressed. The same magazines do drop free from my other three (Not S&W) AR-15s. They seem to fit tight on all surfaces of the well, and aren’t just catching on the mag release.
I’ve read that some of the early M&P 15s has this problem but don’t see any recent info regarding this problem.
Anyone else have or heard about this problem on recent examples?
I’ve emailed S&W customer support but no response yet.

PMags are known to do that in various ARs. Sometimes it's the coating of the lower. Sometimes the trigger guard is out of spec and the front rubs against mags. Can you post a picture of the trigger guard?

Have you tried loosening the mag release? Are they jammed in there or can you pull them free easily?

Use fine scotch Brite to polish the mag well ,then wax or silicone it ;)

Might try backing your release catch off one rthread too.
Yeah, I first checked it wasn’t the release. It’s real tight on the front and back and sides. It’s so tight a little polishing isn’t helping. Looks like I would have to completely sand off the parkerizing or whatever the finish is...
Thanks for the suggestion.

PMags are known to do that in various ARs. Sometimes it's the coating of the lower. Sometimes the trigger guard is out of spec and the front rubs against mags. Can you post a picture of the trigger guard?

Have you tried loosening the mag release? Are they jammed in there or can you pull them free easily?
I’m thinking the coating is on too thick... that or they didn’t complete the final milling of the inside. It’s tight All the way around... front, back and sides beginning at the entrance, and it’s tight way before you get near the release. I can see the rub marks all around. The trigger guard does not protrude into the mag well like it does on some lowers.
S&W is telling me I need to send it in to them... They haven’t responded yet to my questions.
thanks for the response.

get GI metal mags, they better anyway
I was starting to think I was the only one who still had and used metal mags. :rolleyes: I don’t have any of my metal mags down here to try though. Yeah, I’m sure I could find some that would drop free but don’t feel like I should have to. Especially with the widespread popularity of the P-mags and considering it came with a P-mag.
thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom