• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

S&W Model 13-4 my new carry piece

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I purchased a never fired mint condition 3" model 13-4 and it came into my FFL and I picked it up yesterday. I have purchased several nice S&W revolvers and quickly sold them because they were "too nice to carry". When this opportunity came up I jumped and decided this would be my carry piece. When the gun came it its obvious its never been fired and rarely had the cylinder been cycled. I was tempted to quickly relist it for sale and make a fair profit. I knew the best thing for me to do was to quickly shoot it. I tried to view it as liberating it rather than violating it. I quickly went to the range with the only ammo I had available which was a box of wwb 130 gr fmj. at 7-10 yards all rounds printed a few inches low. I had two cylinders of 158 LSWCHP and it put them dead aim. I know this gun is the one. I knew the first time I pulled the trigger I had devalued it but I also realized it was worth it. I also have a 4" model 13-1 which shoots the same but the inch of barrel makes more of a difference in carry than I thought.
Ok my questions are about what year was this gun made s/n BKP9202 and if I am going to carry a beautiful blued K frame in South Ga heat and humidity what do I do to protect the finish? I didnt know if I should apply a few good coats of a car wax or if I should just wipe down with Rem oil a few times a week.

pics

Attachments

• IMG_0881.JPG
    IMG_0881.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 24
Nice, in fact, very nice M13. First, due to all the special runs that S&W was doing in 1991, it is difficult to follow the serial number trail. However, here is what I see as the approximate shipping date. Serial number BFV - Sept 1992 Serial Number BMB - February 1993. Your BKP serial number would fall between those months which appear to be standard production runs. You can call S&W and they will give you the approximate shipping date as well. They do not charge and I have had good results using them on handguns not in the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson.

I would not put any car wax on it at all. To protect the finish, I would use some Flitz to polish out the dull areas, if there are any. Then I would put either some Johnson Paste Wax or Renaissance Wax on it to protect the finish from sweat and moisture. Car wax, unless it is pure carnauba wax is, in my opinion, not good for guns. Flitz does leave a residual protection and then put a light coat of wax and you should be good to go. Wipe off any mositure and wax much more often than you use Flitz. Just my opinion, but it works well for me.

Congrats on the find.

Back
Top Bottom