• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

S&W Model 28 has me baffled (cylindrer does not release properly)

GA 1911

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
80   0
Reaction score
I have two 3-screw Model 28's:
[Broken External Image]:

The problem is with the 4". It's been sitting for a year or so, and I decided to shoot it.

The latch will not release the cylinder properly. The yoke will not allow the cylinder to swing out. I compared them. The latch on the working one pushes a pin which allow the pin in the cylinder housing to release the cylinder from the frame, and it easily swings out. The one that suddenly decided not to work seems to work the same way (the release pin is flush with the frame which allows [unbinds] the pin in the center of the cylinder), but the cylinder wants to stay latched in unless I use a slight force to it. :rolleyes: Got that?

What am I missing here? I am usually good at this thing.

Oh, here is the side with the latch that you push forward to release the cylinder.
[Broken External Image]:

:(

Oh, you can see a slight scratch that formed on the frame in front of the latch of the unworking one.

I agree with above statements lol. Tighten it. If you keep forcing it open you risk bending it. Best way to tighten good is with felt tip pliers

Thanks!
It was just a bit loose. I just didn't notice it. Now it works like a charm.

I really can't decide if the latch scratch was caused by this or from something else. :confused: I'll work with it.

Back
Top Bottom