• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Safety harness

swampbuck62

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   0
Reaction score
Another post got me to thinking

How many of you wear a harness? I do

how old are you? 51

how long have you been hunting? 40 years+-

when did you start wearing one? only about 7 years ago

Most of my hunting career I did not, now I will not hunt off the ground without one..

I started wearing one 7 years ago. I went on a paid hunt to bama and they were required, after that I wondered why I ever hunted without one..

I wear one because it is a requirement on Ft. Benning. I had not worn one prior to arrival in 92, but always do now. I'm 49 and hunted for about 35 yrs. It's not that much of a hassle after you get use to them.

I wear one and will always wear one because I have a family to support and I don't feel like falling out of a tree. It only takes one time to be dead or paralyzed and a $50 harness is cheap insurance. Average stand $200, average rifle or bow $500 - $900, average clothing and the rest of the hunting stuff is another $300 or more, so $50 for a harness is a no brainer.

I wear one now. I'm 42, been hunting for 30 years +/-. I started wearing it this year.

I have made my son wear one ever since he started hunting off the ground, and every other kid I have taken was required to wear one or they sat on the ground. My wife wore one religiously when she hunted, and stayed on my case about not wearing one. I bought one @ 4 years ago, but it was too much of a hassle to keep up with it.

The thread about the boy falling out of the stand got me to thinking. Now I put it on without thinking, I don't know why I resisted it so much for so long. I hunt by myself a lot, my wife feels so much better knowing that I'm wearing it now.

I always wear a safety harness, but I do not wear the typical hunter's harness. I use a rock climbing harness and an HSS safety rope. I hunt alone quite a bit, and based on my personal testing, my only choice was the rock climbing harness with the front loop which enabled me to free myself.

Back
Top Bottom