• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Savage Arms Customer Service Pulls Through

SD

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
101   0
Reaction score
Hey folks. I love sharing good customer service practices of great companies, so I just wanted to throw my latest story out there in the mix. If you're not interested in the story and only want to hear about the customer service scroll down to where the paragraph break starts with "CUSTOMER SERVICE:"

Sunday, I picked up a new Savage 10T. When I got home, the first line of business was to take the action out of the stock, degrease and holes/threads and torque the action screws to spec. I proceeded to give the bore a good and careful scrubbing in preparation for shooting this weekend. The rifle comes with an EGW one piece scope base installed from factory. Well, I'm not a fan of allen head screws on anything that requires torque, so I called EGW and ordered some torx screws. So, I proceeded to remove the scope base in preparation for the preferred screws, but also to degrease the threads for loctite. This is where the problem arose.

Three of the four screws came out. The last screw, which was at the front of the base, decided it was going to strip out. Case and point as to why I don't like allen heads. No big deal. I went for my "grabit" bit that has worked for me in the past, but it offered no assistance on this situation. So, I decided to carefully drill out the screw. After a few deep breaths and assuring I was feeling VERY patient, I successfully drilled the screw head out. Now, I'm only left with the shaft of the screw sticking out of the top of the receiver. As I began to back out the screw with my fingers it started to bind up as if it was cross-threaded. So, I carefully worked it back and forth until it finally started backing out normally. Here comes the surprise.

I peek down into the tapped receiver hole and see a bunch of tiny, little metal balls. I noticed these same little metal balls underneath the barrel nut when I got the rifle home, but I didn't think anything of it. Well, I jumped on the savageshooters forum and discovered savage finishes their rifles after they are assembled. The balls are bead blast media. It turns out this bead blast media was binding the threads of the screw and locked it up. So, now I have a ruined scope base.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: I called Savage this morning and explained the situation to them. They promptly took my information and expedited a new scope base in the mail to me free of charge. Thank you Savage Arms for providing great customer service and remaining understanding of possible situations.

Now for the PICS.

Attachments

• IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 25
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 25
Cant beat that. I have a savage axis .308. Just a cheap under 200 bolt action. I have beat the crap out of it and it has stood tall. I did break one of the detachable mags though. Savage replaced it promptly.

Cant beat that. I have a savage axis .308. Just a cheap under 200 bolt action. I have beat the crap out of it and it has stood tall. I did break one of the detachable mags though. Savage replaced it promptly.
Yep. I'm pretty well pleased. I have an older Savage 110 .270 that my mother helped me buy when I was 15. It's pre-accutrigger, but that rifle is awesome. It came with the cheap Simmons 3-9x40 scope and has been beaten up, down, left, right, and upside down. It still shoots 1 MOA or better. That rifle is why I still buy Savage today...and probably will continue to so long as they aren't bought out like most of America's once awesome rifle companies.

Edit: Oh, and I only paid $250 for the 110

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom