• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Savage Edge?

I got mine in 7-08 my brother ordered one in 270.The action lengths are the same though.
They are definitely economy rifles. I have been comparing them to the 110 because that and the Stevens 200 have been the gold standard for economy rifles for a very long time.Usually I do lots of research before making a purchase but I ordered this rifle as a shot in the dark relying on the Savage reputation.
Once you take them apart they seem pretty cheap/cheesy. Of course that's what everybody thought about the 110 and even shooting rings around the competition didn't change many minds. Another difference between these rifles and the 110 is the ejection port is on the side. Loading and unloading is accomplished with the detachable box mag.
Though they seem to be cheap I'm waiting to see how it shoots and how it holds up before passing final judgement on it.
At this point I wouldn't run out and sell my 110s vangaurds etc. to replace with this model.
It's probably gonna be a while before I get a chance to shoot it.

I saw this thread had been resurected so I thought I'd update. The Edge I purchased new is long gone and I'm happily back to 10/110 based Savages. I dont think I'll be buying any more of the Axis (the edge was renamed to avoid legal conflict) based rifles. Some creative guys are starting to figure ways to smith around the Savage economy offerings shortcomings but I'll stick to the familiar. In my opinion the older savage 10/110 rifles are a better value than a brand new axis or edge. Savage has done a lot since the mid
90s to bolster their reputation as super accurate and reliable with more features for less money and in my opinion should discontinue this el cheapo rifle lineup before the Remington 710/770 POS type reputation is placed on the economy offerings. It will kill deer just as dead as a $4000 custom if you do your part but I prefer a rifle that has a little more refinement (better trigger, standard style recoil lug, aftermarket support) than this simplistic cost cutter.

Back
Top Bottom