• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Savage stocks?

I'm not throwing names out there to anyone REDX, I'm just doing my own homework. I would assume that there are biased opinions for stocks just like anything else and I have received quite a few. The XLR is very nice but it's outside of my budget for this build. This will always be a range toy and I don't mind the weight if it saves my wallet. If I enjoy this one, then I will build a new one with top of the line components. But for now, inexpensive (I don't want to use the word 'cheap' here) is where I want to be. I'm not changing the caliber again. I'm set on 300wm for this one.

The choate sniper was actually the stock I had ordered but was told it was crap. Said it was too flimsy and would loose consistency after the first few shots. Honestly didn't think the stock mattered with accuracy so long as the optics are attached directly to the receiver, right? Unless the barrel isn't free floating...

Ok, I've done some more research and I think I will ultimately go with a chassis system. That should allow me to do whatever I want with it later along with the rigidity of being encased in aluminum. Now... I have looked at the XLR system and I like it, but it there anything less expensive? I saw one that was the rem700 that allowed the user to install ar stocks, grips, and other accessories. Seems like a great idea with all the ar stuff floating around now. Anything like that available for Savage or did I miss something on the XLR system?

Chassis are going to be few and far between for a long action. Even if you find a long action chassis you'll probably have trouble with a mag system. LSS makes an economical Savage chassis and they do make one for a long action but I'm not sure about a mag system for the Win mag.

Well if you're dead set against a Choate then Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gunstocks has an unfinished economy offering that sounds like it would be perfect for what you're trying to accomplish. It would also let you get some more hands on time with your project and save a few bucks. Or buy a finished stock from him. He's very knowledgeable on Savages.

If you're willing to drop the coins on such an endeavor you might just want to check out a Manners stock for that puppy. A basic T5 should be available for a little over $500 and if you call em they will walk you through exactly what you need.

The XLR Chassis will come with a mag. By the time you get the Manners stock and get it bedded you will come out spending more than the XLR. The LSS with a PRS stock will also come out more than the XLR

I'm not against the Choate stocks but I've been told they were not worth messing with. I don't have the budget with this build to get a Manners and I don't particularly like the "standard" stock design either. I'll check out the LSS but if the chassis systems are just solid aluminum, I'll just mill one myself.

I like the LSS chassis better than the XLR but by the time I buy a stock, grip, and chassis, I've spent more than what the XLR costs ready to go. I'm gonna see about getting some cad
drawings on a savage la chassis and modify it to machine my own. I can get the material for cost and I have access to any piece of machinery I could possibly need to make it happen. Just a matter of finding the drawing I need. I could even draw it up from scratch if I needed to into a 3d file but if somebody already has it, then I'll just modify theirs

Your guessing instead of knowing the facts. Money isn't the issue for ammo and range time, however I have a set amount I have budgeted for this build. And why on earth would I spend close to a grand for a stock when I could mill my own for a hundred or two? Never assume...

Check out the McRee's chassis.
www.axial_photography.com_Real_Steel_Savage_12_308_McRees_TMAG_i_TpzwsTr_0_X2_PA_20Savage_207_X2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom