• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Savage Trophy Hunter Vs Ruger American

bsh4x4

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
10   0
Reaction score
Ok so I have decided that i want to get a decent bolt action in .308. I think have it narrowed down to the savage trophy hunter xp or the ruger american. I have been trying to do research on both rifles and they both seem to be great guns and on par with each other. Both guns have good reviews so i figured i would ask you guys your opinion, so what do yall think what are your thoughts on either rifle?

I own both rifles. The savage in .243 for the wife to hunt with and the American in 270. The price point on the savage was a little more. I saw the Americans on sale at Adventure Outdoors in the ATL area for 309.00 recently. With all that said I prefer the Ruger; it is out of the box an extremely accurate rifle. It comes pillar bedded with a free floating barrel. Also after polishing the bolt on the American its as smooth as butter. The Savage is nothing to scoff at as my wife and both have taken some nice deer with that rifle. Both stocks leave something to be desired, and the magazine catches for both rifles are made of plastic. However if you like a traditional feel to a stock and not one with a chopped up fore-end you will prefer the Savage stock like myself. I do like the rotary style magazine on the American a little better. Also after adjustments I can't tell much difference in the triggers on either rifle. Great bang for your buck with either rifle.

The Trophy Hunter all day long and twice on Sunday. I'd bet a dollar against a doughnut that the broken Savage mag catch was a plastic one on an Axis which is not even in the same league as the model 10 based trophy hunter. (My opinion is the Axis rifles are a mistake Savage will regret similar to the Remington 710 and 770.) I am a Savageaholic for a good reason. I haven't found anything else with as many desirable features at anywhere near the Savage price point. The marlin XL7 and XS7 are about the closest imitators yet and seem to be pretty good rifles but neither they or the Ruger American have the aftermarket support of the Savage model 10,11 12,16. The Savage model 10 series features the accutrigger (probably the best aftermarket "user adjustable" trigger on the market), a synthetic pillar bedded stock (prevents the action from binding or making contact except where necessary), a free floating barrel, a floating bolthead (= near perfect lug contact without having to pay a smith to lap the lugs), a detachable box magazine and a decent Nikon scope with BDC that's way better than previous package gun scope offerings from the firearms industry.
Last and more important to some than others is the barrel nut that facilitates a semi mechanically inclined individual with the right tools swapping barrels and calibers with ease.
If you're comparing Ruger American be sure to add in the cost of decent rings bases and comparable glass. I have handled the Ruger and was not overly impressed. The stock felt very cheap and reminiscent of the Savage axis stock to me.The trigger was better than previous Ruger efforts but still not even close to the accutrigger, the rotary mag seems well like something else to go wrong VS the the simplicity of the Savage.
It's you're money spend it how you wish but if you're looking for a decent rifle at the right price I'd go with the Savage and second runner up would be the Marlin with the Ruger somewhere behind those two.
The post above is again someone comparing an axis rifle. the trophy hunter does not have a plastic mag catch. Just be sure to compare apples to apples not oranges.

Last edited:
Actually Sir I am referring to a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP, not an Axis. It does have a plastic magazine catch probably borrowed from the Axis format. BHJ is right about the scope that accompanies the Savage fairly decent scope and one of the best ever put on a package deal. I was in no way bashing the Savage. I just personally prefer the Ruger. Also the aftermarket support for the Savage is most definitely in a better catagory. The Ruger comes with bases. Also, rings along with another Nikon Prostaff scope can be had for under $200. So you're just over $500 for the setup right at the same for a Savage. In addition the I will second BHJ's comments on the Marlin as I have an XL7 and I like it. Other than not having a detachable mag it is a sweet shooter. I use my rifles for the purpose of hunting. Ultimately it's what ever rifle feels right to you, and to what purpose you plan on using it for.

I have the Ruger in .308. The adjustable trigger is nice. She's light weight and a great shooter, and if I used it in the rain I wouldn't worry.

But I'm not familiar with the Savage, so I can't offer a comparison between the two.

Good luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom