SBR Lower only?

None of this deal has had any logic in it from the start if you ask me.

I was just asking the question to try and figure out what was up. The SBR Lower is no longer offered from Costal as I can tell. This deal is ongoing and has been for quite a while. The lower is at the dealer and the buyer needs to buy an upper, take it to the dealer and finish the paperwork with the caliber and barrel length on it.

I know there were factory built SBR lowers sold and paperwork completed from two stores before this happened so I'm guessing it was an ATF rule change.

I SBR my ARs in 5.56 with a 14.5 inch barrel and a 6 position stock no matter what my final plans are. It makes it so much easier for filling out the form 1.

since I will ALWAYS own a 14.5 inch upper, I just have to build it in that config when the stamp comes back first, and then I'm free to do whatever I choose.

Some me people say you shouldn't have more SBR uppers than lowers, so I have a pistol lower to take care of that. I can own as many uppers as I want for a pistol lower no question, plus it gives me a place to play with SBR upper while waiting on stamps.

Last edited:

I was just asking the question to try and figure out what was up. The SBR Lower is no longer offered from Costal as I can tell. This deal is ongoing and has been for quite a while. The lower is at the dealer and the buyer needs to buy an upper, take it to the dealer and finish the paperwork with the caliber and barrel length on it.

I know there were factory built SBR lowers sold and paperwork completed from two stores before this happened so I'm guessing it was an ATF rule change.

ATF has changes many things, many times, without any actual change in the US code. There was a time where you did list all of the calibers you intended to use. However, ATF "clarified" that you only list one for purposes of the original listing on the NFA registry.

As mentioned above, once it's registered, you can put any caliber or barrel length on that you want. And you can have more than one upper per lower if you want to have say a .22 and a .223 upper or whatever.

At one time you could buy a factory specific SBR lower, but the ATF stopped accepting them at least a year ago and probably longer. I do not see any reason why you need to go through a dealer to get this done unless you are buying a factory complete SBR.

I am assuming this is a registered SBR that he is buying, and the dealer transferred it in state. If that is not what happened then disregard this.

If I were that dealer, and the form 1/3/4/5 said it was an SBR with an XX" barrel and XX" overall length, and all I had in my hands was a lower receiver, I'd make the customer get it back to the form's specs too before I messed with it. That is an ATF IOI's dream right there.

And yes, the ATF stopped accepting Form 2's from mfr's about a year or so ago on SBR's if they did not list a barrel/overall length. There are some out there and the one's I've seen say "SBR (receiver only)" on the TYPE section of the form.

Also on the engraving, technically the caliber of what that gun is shooting needs be on the GUN somewhere. The way you get around that with "multi" lowers is the caliber is always engraved on the barrel, which is also an acceptable place to put that info.

Back
Top Bottom