SBR Project - Knights Armament

Didn't mean to sound like an ass. Your gun looks awesome. I'm just uneducated on KAC, and I refer to awesome/expensive things as coated in unicorn piss.

Gotcha. They are spendy, but sometimes I think we'd be surprised how much we actually spend on these things once we get done "customizing" them. The SR15 has an excellent feature set and doesn't require anything except an optic. Even if you don't like the trigger, sights or stock, you can sell them off, replace with high quality parts and either break even or maybe even pocket a little cash. Before the SR15 MOD1 came out last year, the Legacy model had come down to $1700-$1800, which IMHO, was a steal. What are you getting for that? Here's a short description:

Ambidextrous lower receiver - 1st commercially available ambi lower with integrated ambi bolt and magazine releases - includes improved trigger guard

SOPMOD stock - KAC produces these for LMT on their injection molding machines

KAC 2 stage match trigger - as used in the Mk12 SPR and M110 - prior to Giesselle, this was the only combat viable match trigger in use

Hammer forged, chrome lined, mil spec CMV barrel with intermediate length gas system - reduced operating pressure / very soft recoil and flat shooting

Improved E3 bolt design - stronger than a standard bolt - since the SR15 was released over 4 years ago, there has never been a broken bolt publicly reported, ever.

KAC URX II w/ integrated front sight - 2 piece design allows easy removal for cleaning OR mounting an m203 ;) Additionally, the URX series is one of the lightest fully railed fore ends on the market.

KAC 200-600m adjustable rear sight

Plus mil spec upper receiver, receiver extension, etc.

Here's a neat KAC fact: the E3 bolt design has been so thoroughly tested by KAC that they actually offer a 20K round warranty on the E3 bolt.

Last edited:
Since I'm waiting on the new URX 3.1 midlength rail to ship from Lawmens, I decided to take the SPR shown above out for a spin on Saturday. I built this rifle with a special run Noveske barrel. Specs:

17" rifle gassed barrel
1/8 twist, 3 land and groove rifling
Special mid weight "JLZ" contour

Shot this nice little group with Southwest Ammunition 5.56 69gr SMK. Rifle is zeroed for Mk 262, hence the off center grouping.

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_01_23_usejamy6.jpg

Last edited:
Really like that dimpled barrel. Nighthawk did something like that with a AR and 1911 set. They just look so good. Wish there were more out there like that. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Really like that dimpled barrel. Nighthawk did something like that with a AR and 1911 set. They just look so good. Wish there were more out there like that. Can't wait to see the finished product.

That was actually a Knights Armament project in cooperation with NH. They were marketed and sold by KAC. Beautiful setup.

If you're looking for someone to do it for you, Marvin Pitts at Nefarious Arms does awesome work on those dimpling jobs. Just google him and you'll see his work.

nefariousarms@live.com

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=568071

Marvin does excellent work and used to work for KAC before leaving to work for Wilson Combat. He used to do dimpling work on the side while employed at KAC, since KAC didn't offer it publicly and it wasn't offered on any commercial guns at the time. I believe KAC holds a patent on the design, but allows Marvin to continue offering the service. They now offer dimpled barrels on a couple of SR15 and SR25 factory guns. This barrel was a contract over run and offered to a small group of Silencer Talk members as part of the Christmas Cheer deal that ran for the last 4 years. I think it's the same barrel used on the gov/mil SR16 CQB.

Update! The new URX 3.1 midlength showed up sooner than expected. Huge thanks to Marc at Lawmens and Shooters Supply!

Test fit before final assembly.

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_02_13_y7yve8yz.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_02_13_equnysy5.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_02_13_y8ynuza3.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_02_13_y6uzu5y8.jpg

Any updates on this? What muzzle device are you going to run? I am possibly holding out for the URX 4 on my next 11.5 build depending on the lengths offered.

My only problem with KAC is a 300+$ bolt. I don't care if you last 10,000 or 50,000 rounds, I prefer to have spares and that is just insanely high.

Sweet guns though man, would love to see your finished product. Going to run a can?

Any updates on this? What muzzle device are you going to run? I am possibly holding out for the URX 4 on my next 11.5 build depending on the lengths offered.

My only problem with KAC is a 300+$ bolt. I don't care if you last 10,000 or 50,000 rounds, I prefer to have spares and that is just insanely high.

Sweet guns though man, would love to see your finished product. Going to run a can?

Spartan, I started a new thread on this with the finished upper. See link below

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?t=344508

I opted for the BCM Gunfighter Compensator Mod0. A can will probably come later this year, so the muzzle device may change eventually and will depend on what can I decide on.

Regarding the bolt cost, I really don't have any concerns about it breaking. But if one did, I have multiple guns with the E3 bolt, so I could temporarily swap a bolt from a different KAC gun until KAC replaced the broken bolt. They warranty the E3 bolt for 20K rounds. I've never seen a broken E3 bolt and I've been running an SR15 since they were first introduced. My solution: a backup KAC gun! :D Considering ammo costs, it will be a long while before I have to worry about exceeding the 20k round warranty. Like I said, IF one of mine broke, I'd just switch to a different gun or temporarily swap a bolt until I could get a replacement from KAC. Realistically, I can only shoot one gun at a time, so it's no big deal to me.

Back
Top Bottom