• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scan Tool?

Or I may try to find a Launch scan tool with similar capabilities.

This D7 one has free updates for 3 years, and then updates cost $99 per year

Launch comes with lifetime updates
The tool that I posted up earlier is $100, with a free general scan in it's memory like other scan tools have. You can get and use vehicle specific programs with it like I did. For my Ford I used Forscan, and there is a free version of it, but I chose to pay the $6 per year for the better version because it actually had tests you can run to figure out what was wrong. In my case I had wiring harnesses that were fried, along with the Injector Drive module problems. I ran the test to see what was wrong, and which injectors weren't firing, and you don't need to be a genius to use it. I fixed my 7.3 and it was the first time I ever worked on a diesel engine. I'd check to see if there are scan programs for the vehicle you're working on and then buy a tool like I did, and get the complete specific readout, instead of a general tool you can use everywhere and get less than half the information you need. If you're close to me I'd let you use my tool to see if it would be a fit for yourself.

The tool that I posted up earlier is $100, with a free general scan in it's memory like other scan tools have. You can get and use vehicle specific programs with it like I did. For my Ford I used Forscan, and there is a free version of it, but I chose to pay the $6 per year for the better version because it actually had tests you can run to figure out what was wrong. In my case I had wiring harnesses that were fried, along with the Injector Drive module problems. I ran the test to see what was wrong, and which injectors weren't firing, and you don't need to be a genius to use it. I fixed my 7.3 and it was the first time I ever worked on a diesel engine. I'd check to see if there are scan programs for the vehicle you're working on and then buy a tool like I did, and get the complete specific readout, instead of a general tool you can use everywhere and get less than half the information you need. If you're close to me I'd let you use my tool to see if it would be a fit for yourself.

Looks like a nice tool, but I don't think Toyota is supported.

That's mainly what I'm after

I have a icarsoft scan tool. It's ok but it is vehicle maker specific. I bought it for Land Rover vehicles but it will do obd-2 on any vehicle. It was in the $180 range. Like another poster said Scotty Kilmer has some good info on tools but South Main Auto ytube channel has a lot of good trouble shooting info.

Attachments

• ILRV20-06.jpg
    ILRV20-06.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2
Ii got the x tool d8 coming

I got a gift card for Christmas, coupled with the $100 off at Amazon.

It looks to have tons of capabilities.

Will do all kinds of stuff, like ABS module resets, full resets for climate stuff, TPMS stuff and even key fob programming

I think it should cover everything

Wound up being a little over $500…. but hell, I figure it should pay for itself quick. I probably blew through more than $500 over the last couple years on repairs I didn’t need

Most mechanics don’t even try to properly diagnose anything anymore. At least with this tool, I can get deep enough to tell what the heck is really wrong.

I’m not a professional mechanic by any stretch, and I don’t have a lift or an engine jack, so that kind of stuff is out-but I am sick of half assed mechanics that are too dumb or lazy to diagnose properly

Back
Top Bottom