**school me on Boosters/Pistons**

Kaotiktribe

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
137   0
Reaction score
When is a booster for a can required? Does it depend on the type of handgun and how the barrel moves and locks into place? Do certain barrel lengths or suppressor lengths need one to cycle. Seen a few videos on suppressors that could not cycle the gun.

Gonna be getting my first pistol can and didnt want to end up with a can that could not cycle reliably.

Pretty much any pistol that has a barrel that tilts during the cycling process will need a booster. My XD9 needs one.

Guns like the beretta 92, HK p9s etc do not need a booster. Any firearm with a fixed barrel does not require them. Any firearm with a tilting or non fixed barrel will need one to cycle like it should. The extra weight on the end of a tip up barrel causes problems.

Say for example you want to suppress a beretta 92. No problem. No booster needed. You can take that same can and put it on a czech vz61 skorpion, pistol caliber AR-15 and just about all .22lr pistols. If you decided you wanted to put it on a glock, HK USP, Sig 226 etc, you would need a can that accepts a booster. I have a suppressor that is just booster-less. It does not have a piston nor can you mount one. I only use it on my skorpion and beretta 92.

also ALL MODERN suppressors accept boosters. They also accept fixed barrel mounts. Unless your buying a REALLY OLD can I would not worry about it. I have 4 mounts for my 9mm suppressor. 2 Booster pistons in 1/2x28 and 13.5x1LH. I also have 2 fixed mounts for pistols that dont need the booster in the same 2 thread pitches.

Last edited:
So light shory cans MAY not need one? The weight is the problem not the force to push the slide all the way back and cycle another round?

Correct. The blowback force is even greater with a suppressor due to the pressure. I have had guns that would not cycle without a suppressor but run like a top with it.

Guns like the beretta 92, HK p9s etc do not need a booster. Any firearm with a fixed barrel does not require them. Any firearm with a tilting or non fixed barrel will need one to cycle like it should. The extra weight on the end of a tip up barrel causes problems.

Say for example you want to suppress a beretta 92. No problem. No booster needed. You can take that same can and put it on a czech vz61 skorpion, pistol caliber AR-15 and just about all .22lr pistols. If you decided you wanted to put it on a glock, HK USP, Sig 226 etc, you would need a can that accepts a booster. I have a suppressor that is just booster-less. It does not have a piston nor can you mount one. I only use it on my skorpion and beretta 92.

also ALL MODERN suppressors accept boosters. They also accept fixed barrel mounts. Unless your buying a REALLY OLD can I would not worry about it. I have 4 mounts for my 9mm suppressor. 2 Booster pistons in 1/2x28 and 13.5x1LH. I also have 2 fixed mounts for pistols that dont need the booster in the same 2 thread pitches.

Do you need to use a spacer on the 9mm AR?

Back
Top Bottom