• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on golf carts.

Shovelhead

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
Looking to buy a used golf cart. I've never been in one. Not looking for a "Hunt Mobile" and I dont golf. Will be used in the old folks community. Chasing old ladies and such.
Input appreciated. Gas? Electric? What to look for and what to watch out for???

Thanks

Shovel

Electric is much less maintenance and hassle, and the new 72V ones will outrun the gassers, and are much quieter.

Electric FTW. I was looking into getting one of the newer lithium battery carts a couple of months ago. Li batteries are longer lasting, more powerful, much lighter and very expensive. The dealer in Covington had EZGO Li units used 1 week at the Masters for $7000. I could not pull the trigger on that right now, so I will just replace with lead acid batteries for $750ish.

Just purchased one for our place in Flagler Beach. You need to check the local laws to see what the regulations are. For instance, down here you can’t drive a gas powered cart on the local roads. Find out what is required regarding headlights, brake lights, turn signals, seat belts, etc. All that can be added but can get expensive if you don’t do it yourself. Batteries as mentioned are expensive. Invest in a voltmeter, or better yet a cheap load tester (harbor freight about $22) so that you can test the batteries yourself and not have to take the word of the seller. Not sure anyone still makes a 36v. 48v will generally have better range and can more easily have speed modifications. Although a 36v could certainly be more than adequate depending on your needs. Confirm the charger is included and functions as they can also be expensive. The older “series” motors probably won’t take a “speed chip” install which a seller may tell you is all that’s equipped to gain a few mph.
Club Car has aluminum frame and some will say that is preferable because of no rust. I know I heard that down here next to the beach. However, the Yamaha and Club Car with steel frames aren’t rusting apart in driveways like a rust belt car... Best manufacturer, IMO is a Ford, Chevy, Mopar thing. Most everyone I talked to espoused one make and slammed the other.
Easy to add a rear seat kit for @$300.

I'm on my second Yamaha gas cart (worked at their plant and am familiar with both). Things to think about in your decision.
1 How much driving will you do. When gas get low (about 2-300 miles) you just put in another 6 gallons or so. Electric will need to be charged regularly and driven to keep the batteries good. Dead electric is dead, dead gas is just a splash of gas to be up and going again.
2 Maintenance on gas is 1 quart of oil (no filter), air filter and a battery of your choice every couple of years or whenever it dies. When electric batteries go, prepare to spend some $$ for the correct ones. You also can't make any adjustments to electric carts to speed without reprograming them. Gas is a zip tie away. Brakes are adjusted the same on both. Both are factory set to 13mph speed on dyno.
Gas is noisy compared to electric, and the stop/start feature takes a little getting used to. If you are only going to go on short trips, really doesn't matter which you get. One last thing is that gas is about 300# lighter than electric due to batteries. This makes it easy to change out a flat tire or do a service on it as no jack is needed. Just tip it up pushing on roof and slide a spare tire under the side rail.

Club car has my vote. Easy to work on. About the time to replace power supply, You will be wanting a newer cart anyway. Owned mine for 10 years now. Replaced the batteries once. I drive it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom