• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scope help!

trident3339

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
Patriot
108   0
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm stuck between the vortex strike eagle and the vortex viper pst. The optic Willike be mounted on an m1a scout using a sadlak receiver mount. The strike eagle is about 180 dollars cheaper and has 2x more magnification. But it only has a bdc type reticle. The viper pst has better clarity, lower magnification, and an moa type reticle. Inside a range of 600 yards or so which would be a better option?

I tried the FFP PST early this year. I doubt I'd ever go back to SFP. MOA for me but that's how I think in distance/drop. You thinking of the FFP model Viper? I don't turn a turret out to 600 on a .308, just use the subtends.

It's not a bad policy to spend as much, if not more, on glass than you do the rifle. With that said, I know that's simply not practical sometimes.

I've owned a couple of the mid cost Vortex and love their red dots, but there are scopes out there that are just as good with the same or even lower price point. My current favorite cheap scope is this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/88...6x-32mm-illuminated-ballistic-x-reticle-matte

KASPA.jpg

They have mixed reviews, but I own three of them and have never had a problem. The glass is much better than you would expect, it has some nice features and they function as advertised. The ballistic reticle works very well on 55 to 62 grain 5.56 and 308 shooting 147 to 155 has a very similar trajectory.

The VVPST 1-4x24mm is only available as a SFP.

I'll always take better glass over more power. I'd rather have a small, clear target than a large, blurry one.

I don't like the reticle on the Strike Eagle. Generic BDC's rarely fall properly for bullet impact, you'll be better off with a mil or MOA reticle where you can shoot your dope for verification and then use the reticle for hold-offs if you desire. Much more accurate.

What Shep said. go with better glass. I had both optics that you are looking at and if anything I would save up just a little more and get the 10 power PST

What Shep said. go with better glass. I had both optics that you are looking at and if anything I would save up just a little more and get the 10 power PST

The VVPST 2.5-10x32mm FFP and 2.5-10-44mm SFP are both very good scopes. I've owned both in the past.

Ok, so I'm stuck between the vortex strike eagle and the vortex viper pst. The optic Willike be mounted on an m1a scout using a sadlak receiver mount. The strike eagle is about 180 dollars cheaper and has 2x more magnification. But it only has a bdc type reticle. The viper pst has better clarity, lower magnification, and an moa type reticle. Inside a range of 600 yards or so which would be a better option?

What's your budget for this optic?

Back
Top Bottom