• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Security system for home and yard - seeking recommendations

rlmblm21

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
I would like to get a security system installed around the outside of my home, that would include a few cameras to capture cars from the front and back if they pull down my driveway, and also to capture anyone who approached one of the 4 entry doors to my home. I currently have a NEST doorbell camera, and I love it, but I would like a more robust monitoring system that would cover the other 3 doors, the driveway, and perhaps a lot of the perimeter of my home.

I am not tech savvy, nor am I interested in installing these cameras myself. My husband is resistant to putting cameras up, although he allowed the nest camera, and is open to discussing a more robust system. (He does draw the line at inside cameras, so there will be none INSIDE the home.)

Do any of you have opinions, recommendations, suggestions that might be helpful to me in exploring this?

Thank you,
Barbara

I’ve got a SimpliSafe system. Their new outdoor cameras can be either battery pack or hard wired. I’ve got mine wired but further down a driveway may require the battery packs. It’s controlled by my smart phone and I can bring up any camera at any time and it’s cellular based but uses WiFi to communicate with the cameras

There are a few topics that might help you narrow your search.
1. Wired rather than wireless systems tend to be more robust and once installed, also tend to have better picture quality and tend to be more secure. Wired units free you from batteries/solar panels too. Wireless tends to be easier to install.
2. Think about where you want your captured footage to be stored (and thereby, who you want to have access to it). If the storage is on Google or some system like that, then your footage is viewable by Google, their staff and their assignees. Some systems store data on your own devices.
3. Figure out what the maximum number of devices you'll want to have running, and size what you get accordingly.
4. Remember that if you want a system that is highly dependent on a smartphone to run it, you're also reliant on having smartphone service, and usually internet service to your home.

I’ve got a SimpliSafe system. Their new outdoor cameras can be either battery pack or hard wired. I’ve got mine wired but further down a driveway may require the battery packs. It’s controlled by my smart phone and I can bring up any camera at any time and it’s cellular based but uses WiFi to communicate with the cameras
Ditto this. Simplisafe is really easy to install and never had a problem with ours.

I run one of these - because I'm somewhat cautious about where my data goes.

ReoLink Home System
|
Easy for me - everything's either inside, or on the outside of the house, so cabling is - if not simple - at least possible. Data is stored on premises, email notifications, limited AI that can detect vehicles and people, infrared cameras etc.

Overall, pretty satisfied. It's been reliable and the software is relatively easy to use and bug-free.

Check out Lorex, and remember besides data storage and unapproved provider monitoring and data sharing with some systems (most consumer systems) are owned by Amazon or google. Another thing to keep in mind is that you can by a Wi-Fi jammer on eBay. I got a first hand experience on this one night, watching 2 goblins stand on curb in front of my house seemly having a joint effort with a phone. I learned a few things that night, sometimes a sleepless pstd night when you sit in the shadows on your porch smoking isn’t a bad thing, but don’t do it unarmed, and you would be shocked how fast the youth can move when surprised and the Wi-Fi jammer thing, my video went offline a second before they made their approach.

Back
Top Bottom