• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Security system for home and yard - seeking recommendations

if you already have a Nest doorbell, look at the other Nest cameras. I have a couple, one wired with the LED lights by the garage, and some wireless ones that are nice because I don't have to have them wired into power. Just screw in the base and they attach via magnet and you are set. The battery life is easy to check with the app but depending upon where you have them they will last a long time. The wired ones are better if they are in a high use area (your driveway) because they are on a lot. You can view everything from the app and also get a live view to check on things after a storm or something if you are away.

they are coming out with some new stuff (not sure what yet) the first week in October.

Simplisafe and Ring are the two I typically recommend, though just because I've had both.

Simplisafe is better at traditional alarm stuff while I like the Ring cameras better. Both will do the job though.

Ring does a much better job on the camera side than Simplisafe system does. And their 2nd generation sensors are much better than the clunky 1st gen units as well.

So I recently put in some cameras and ended up going with ring, I use amazon for my chosen corporate wiretap, and they had the best integration with alexa. Also I was able to hard wire the doorbell, and the garage floodlight camera, and then plug in the two stick up cams so I dont have to worry about changing batteries. I believe by paying a year at a time it's like a 100$ annual subscription....

And that's the thing that kind of sucks, the subscription, but when I was doing some research it's hard to get all the features, reliability and quality I wanted without said subscription, and some options out there (chinese knock off cams) I really don't trust. I didn't want something I'd have to set up a raspberry pi or have to troubleshoot, I also find non tech companies for the most part suck at tech integration, and keeping things updated and working moving forward. (my worthless honeywell smart thermostat is just one example of this)

If I was going to DIY to avoid a subscription I'd probably go with Ubiquiti's unify g4 pros, they are expensive (400 per), but the quality is amazing about the best you will find anywhere, you got no subscription cost and their app and alerts are actually good. But once you factor in the cost of 3-4 cameras, the switch, a NAS with a raid array or some other data redundancy, and battery backup and keeping it running it's a decade plus before I'm breaking even vs what I paid for the ring stuff at costco. The only reason to really DIY it is keeping your data off the cloud and theoretically more secure. I'd just say that in the majority of cases if your cameras recorded you doing something you didnt want shared with law enforcement, that if they are getting it from amazon or google with a warrant, they are busting your **** down with a warrant to seize your server, and if they have a warrant to do that they'll either recover what they are looking for, or your deletion won't look good either... But there is a possibility of this being important for you, and if it is, consider it.

The way I see it all my Ring cameras are facing outside. I don't have anything pointing at something that's not a public space.

If the cops want to see video of the possum in my backyard spotlight camera, or UPS delivering a package from my doorbell... have at it.

I've got a hodgepodge of camera setups. Basically what was on sale here and there. I have a Ring at the door and it works pretty well. Good battery life. I have a set of outdoors Blink cameras and the battery life isn't the greatest and they aren't 24/7 recording but good for motion. I found my best results with these cheap People's Republic cameras from a company called Yi on Amazon. 20-25 each, usually run sales on them. I like them because you can pop in an SD card and have them record 24/7. Haven't tried their outdoor type cameras yet but thought about just getting a few generic enclosures and putting the cheap 25 cameras in to expand my live recording ability. There's a four pack for 90, and that's not a horrible deal.

I know this makes me seem overly paranoid but I have eight acres, no close neighbors, and there used to be some legitimate concerns with an ex-girlfriend where I wanted to make sure my bases were covered, so hence the need for Hillbilly Fort Knox. Can always shut them off when you want compete privacy.

Back
Top Bottom