• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Seeking Used Cooking Oil!

Collin

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
Hello fellow ODTers!

Well, as if I didn't have enough hobbies, I'm wanting to start making biodiesel. My old 12v seems to like it, and the benefits of added lubricity and reduced emissions. I'd also love to try it out in the tractor. However, before I invest in the equipment, I'm looking to lock in some sources of good used cooking oil. If any of you guys have any sources that you would think would be willing to donate or sell used cooking oil, please let me know. I'm willing to provide collection vessels and I'm very cooperative. Thanks in advance!

All grocery stores that have in store Delis have used cooking oil. They normally have some type of agreement for removal.

go see by brother in law, one of your deacons at Chik Fil A, he might be able to help or point you in the right direction

What have you developed for your filtering and dewatering system? Are you going to check the pH of the oil? Do you have a pump capable of pumping the oil? (Gearotor design or pneumatic diaphragms are the only that will work long term) Do you have a trailer to haul all of this in you don't mind getting filthy? Do you have a reactor vessel designed/built for a decent capacity batch? Do you have a aerator setup to bubble wash it? Do you have a supply for methanol? Have you priced it? What's your plans for the glycerine?

It's not as simple as picking it up, straining it through a coffee filter, tossing a few chemicals into it, and bang you've got "free" fuel...

What have you developed for your filtering and dewatering system? Are you going to check the pH of the oil? Do you have a pump capable of pumping the oil? (Gearotor design or pneumatic diaphragms are the only that will work long term) Do you have a trailer to haul all of this in you don't mind getting filthy? Do you have a reactor vessel designed/built for a decent capacity batch? Do you have a aerator setup to bubble wash it? Do you have a supply for methanol? Have you priced it? What's your plans for the glycerine?

It's not as simple as picking it up, straining it through a coffee filter, tossing a few chemicals into it, and bang you've got "free" fuel...

I appreciate your concerns, but yest I have done my research. I have made some small batches already and feel comfortable with the process. However, I was asking about sourcing the oil. Before I go spending a lot of money on a reactor and other components, I want to lock in a steady supply. I have plenty of space to store up oil temporarily. What I don't have is a ton of extra money laying around to put the cart before the horse. Now, if you have some ideas of good places to get oil from your experience, I would love to know.

Most likely you'll have to pay for decent oil. Otherwise you can prob get used oil if you supply the container, but it'll likely be nasty oil. I would suggest a fish place first. They simply have to change the oil more frequently.

Try contacting your local sports associations / high school booster clubs.

They all run concession stands that probably generate too little used oil to be worth the effort of a professional recycler. Plus it is probably bottled back up into the plastic jugs the fresh oil comes in.

Every single concession stand I ever worked in just throws the used oil away.

Back
Top Bottom