• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Serious rust issues - best way to remove

Naval Jelly is good for a lot of applications. It will remove the rust...and the blue. And it will leave a phosphate coating that you probably don't want on your gun.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I used to use Naval Jelly a lot, refurbishing old farm equipment. @Old School is correct though, don't put it on anything you don't want to have stripped to the metal. I've used some phosphating finishes on some trailers, and I like the way the work for what they do

Using ANY acid based cleaner will definitely strip off all traces of bluing. If you want to strip the bluing off of a gun to reblue it, just use plain ole white vinegar. It is gentle and works like a charm.

Post up before and after photos of your results with the Big 45 G gh1950 . I think others will want to see how well these work.

I used to restore old school bicycles and in that world there was A LOT of rust on chromed parts- particularly handlebars and wheels. Three methods used by many -dipping the rusted part into either citric acid, oxalic acid (deck wash cleaner), and my favorite method which worked fantastic- vinegar.

i was skeptical about all the methods that i have seen on here but i have bought and used the big 45 it looks like a pot scrubber! i will tell you this it is a miracle! use it dry then wipe with your favorite oil wipe and i literally cannot find the spot at all on the gun i used it on a marlin that has the very shiny blueing and i was amazed its like the rust was just on top of the blueing it works and there cheep!! i would advise anyone to try this first before some of the other methods seen on here

Regardless of what you might read elsewhere, do NOT use steel wool before trying Big 45 Frontier. Brass wool is a viable option, but doesn't work as well as B45.

It absolutely will NOT harm any remaining bluing, nickel, or browning on your guns. Best in class rust removal product. Watch the video, it's a bit long, but this stuff really works.

And that's coming from a guy who hawks polishing cloths. I don't sell B45, I am a convert.

http://big45.com/ . . . . . but you can find it on eBay or Amazon too.
This guy is breathing like a rhinoceros and can't keep his big paws out of the way to see anything. Half the time the camera lens is empty. Definitely needs to revise that video. Doesn't do the product any justice there.

I have a gun with serious rust issues. Some of the rust is in hard to reach places.

What is the best way to take off the rust? I expect there to be some pitting, and the finish is shot, so those aren't really issues.

I just want to get the rust off and stop further rusting.

BTW, it's a revolver, not a long gun.
I’d bead blast the whole gun won’t damage the steel but take it down to all rust removed

I take a 30-06/ just a long enough to hold caliber, shell with flattened to the contour of rusty area, open end, and push/scrape the rust off without harming the blue if any remains.

I just cleaned up 2 guns (one with heavy rust issues) using the chore boy stainless pad and light gun oil. Took a couple of hours of rubbing since it was a detail strip. Finished product is shocking in how different everything looks. Blueing was not damaged and saved me a cerakote job. I'm a believer now in how much you can clean up a neglected gun and make it look good again.

Back
Top Bottom