She called 911 but got shot while waiting for help to arrive.

I think calling 911 is great. But as this shows, how long do you have to hide before help arrives. I'd much rather grab my .40 S&W and punch holes in the intruder. For where I live, it could be 30 minutes before the county police arrive.

I'll bet she was shot with a legally purchased assault rifle too right? NOT! :)

Go back and re-read the NRA's speech from the recent press conference. They talk about this specifically. A 911 caller praying a good guy with a gun arrives in time to fend off the bad guy with a gun. That's what you get when you disarm the public. Citizens unable to defend themselves when big government can't or won't help. Arm everyone then see how the crime rate looks. There's a lot of deterrent factor for bad guy when being killed is on the menu. :)

Too bad she didn't have a Bushmaster in the closet like that 15 year old boy who saved himself and his baby sister.

Steps for a home invation:

1. Shoot intruder until dead or out of bullets (repeat if necessary)
2. Yell "halt, I'm armed"
3. Calm, comfort and thank agitated dog that just prewarned you of aforementioned intruder.
4. Reward dog for fantastic performance with treats, praise, possibly game of fetch or tug-o-war.
4. Drink water for dry throat from aforementioned adrenaline rush. (Sit down, have a smoke if necessary)
5. Check/Give dog fresh water.
6. Call 911

I went to the SC permit class a few weeks ago and the instructor was a Lt in the local police. He made it perfectly clear that the police, no matter how hard they try, cannot actually protect you from harm. He stated the average response time on a real emergency call is 15-30 minutes - so the crime is history by the time they show up. It was refreshing to have an LEO make this so crystal clear and many jaws in the room dropped...

I went to the SC permit class a few weeks ago and the instructor was a Lt in the local police. He made it perfectly clear that the police, no matter how hard they try, cannot actually protect you from harm. He stated the average response time on a real emergency call is 15-30 minutes - so the crime is history by the time they show up. It was refreshing to have an LEO make this so crystal clear and many jaws in the room dropped...

A former LEO that taught my handgun training course some years back, told me something very similar. They are Law Enforcement/First Responders. They are not protection or crime prevention. Their presence deters crime as a side effect. We have and will always be our own protection.

Back
Top Bottom