shipping handguns

Here is a link to the ATF site stating what non FFL folk *you and me* can do and can not do.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Yep, just like me and several others have been saying.

The is the most up to date information I could find today.
I was wrong in my original statement on shipping handguns person to person.

The last time I shipped anything 5 years ago you could not ship a handgun period unless it went through an FFL holder, USPS or UPS.

The law aside, let's be realistic, do you really want to ship a firearm to anyone that you have never met before and have no personal knowledge of

The law aside, let's be realistic, do you really want to ship a firearm to anyone that you have never met before and have no personal knowledge of

Well, I dunno bout shipping but I sure have BOUGHT several off of Auction Arms and Gun Broker. And some of those guys are just like us, private sellers. I definitely PREFER to do my sales FTF but I guess is we exchange enough pictures, talk and are clear on the terms of the deal then, yeah I would ship.

Well, I dunno bout shipping but I sure have BOUGHT several off of Auction Arms and Gun Broker. And some of those guys are just like us, private sellers. I definitely PREFER to do my sales FTF but I guess is we exchange enough pictures, talk and are clear on the terms of the deal then, yeah I would ship.

XX2

Handguns IN-state can go door to door BUT they have to go "common carrier", i.e. UPS/Fedex etc. NOT USPS. The problem arises with the rules UPS/Fedex impose on hangun shipping. They both require that the handgun be in an unmarked box and shipped overnight air. This results in a shipping cost of about $40-45. They say the reason for the special shipping requirements is because if it goes ground it has a greater chance to be stolen.

This argument strikes me as "disingenuous"(Read Bull $hit) since if the package is unmarked how would thieves know which box to steal a gun from. Also why not just catch, fire and prosecute thieves instead of penalizing the customers. So, in my admittedly paranoid opinion I think they are singling out gun shipments for persecution.

Anyone want to open a competing common carrier that specializes in HONEST treatment for gun transactions?

Your right, if it is unmarked and insured for 500.00 as a golf club and shipped ups ground how would they know without breaking the law what you have in the box? UPS ground does not scan or use xray either. I have shipped probably 30 long guns and 20 handguns and never declared it. I think a world wide company such as ups finds it easier to make these rules, rather than conforming from state to state laws. Its a hassel for them, thats why they make the rules, to decrease the number of shipments. Just like why you have to pay a 200 dollar tax on class 3 items. Its complete BULL

Disassemble the handgun (if auto) and ship in 2 separate boxes. Label each one machine parts and put them thru the post office standard rate priority mail boxes. I imagine the parts would easily fit in 2 of the $4.95 boxes and cut the other carriers costs in half.

Nemo

Only FFL to FFL may use USPS. I just ordered a gun from gunbroker and he told
Me he was using USPS because it was cheaper to ship 2 days and I asked him
And he said ONLY FFL dealers can ship between each other using USPS.

Back
Top Bottom