• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shogun

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I'm very disappointed with the new one. They have completely missed the point of the book. It is meant as a look into the world of Midieval Japan. This one is more like just another story about that time in Europe with a little Japanese makeup on. They have left out many critical scenes and ideas that make the book and the first TV show so special. Things that are unique and fascinating about Japan and it's culture.

I’ve watched the new series on FX, and I ****ing love the cinematography. I was too young to watch the original, so I can’t compare them. If I recall correctly it was re-released in the late 80’s miniseries. I remember a few bits and pieces of it. Mostly people committing hari Kari.

I did read Tai Pan, his other book from the Asian Series. It was fantastic. Based on the first episode I watched of Shogun ‘24, I bought the original book off Amazon, but it will arrive after the series concludes.

I thought Tai Pan the book was fantastic. I’m watching the Shogun series in the English dub and the Japanese subtitles so I can try to get all the nuance possible.

How do you feel it differs from the original series or book?

Back
Top Bottom