• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shooting on my land

It baffles me (not really) that the same slope heads who say the GWOT was fighting for freedom will call the cops on you because you are exercising the very rights people have suffered and died for

That's because we HAVE to fight them "over there" so that we don't have to fight them here. Plus, when we're fighting "over there", you can't hear the constant annoying pop, pop, pop of 9mm!

If you have less than 500 acres the neighbors will hear it every time you drop a pie plate, much less shoot a 22. If you have 1000 acres you're less likely to be bugged as often, but still you'll get the law called on you occasionally.
I'd set up expectations by shooting on a schedule and stick to it even when I'm not in the mood. If it's raining. If there's an ATF raid next door. Whatever.

BUT don't be like some of the idiots out there. Put up a berm. You can rent a dang backhoe from Homo Depot and put one up in about an hour. Don't give the neighbors reason to hate you, let them hate you for no reason.

Infinity land. If you shoot enough your neighbors are going to call the police or county. I can pm you stories about "Americans" who turn into mao as soon as you start shooting twice a week
Yep.we have a HOA upitiy neighborhood on our West side...I SO LUV TO PISS THEM OFF..:brushteeth:

The safety issue more complicated than most people realize.

It's not just about where the bullet will go if it goes directly through your target,
or if you completely miss your target, and the target frame or support stands.

The not-so-obvious problem comes up when your bullet just nicks the edge of the target and will ricochet off at an angle!

Will your backstop catch * THAT* bullet?

I've been a member of two shooting ranges that have been permanently closed due to bullets missing the backstop entirely, and I've heard of several others closed for this reason.

"BUT .... " you might say,
"I just wanna do with the same way I see other people doing it!"

Doing it the "normal way" that you see other shooters doing is not good enough.
Almost everyone who sets up their own shooting range, builds their own backstop, or chooses how to place their targets in relation to a pre-existing backstop, is negligent in this regard.

And if we collectively don't clean up our act, shooting ranges will be more tightly regulated or even banned on private property (except for shooting ranges that are approved specifically by some local county ordinance and safety board --which will be subject to regular inspections. You don't want to have to build that kind of shooting range; it is ridiculously expensive.)

3D3A4240-C74A-4221-B821-89EEE1FBD6DE.jpeg
F1723004-1086-418C-8BDF-5A50D0BB2353.jpeg

In the pics above, the only way the set ups shown would be "safe" is if you don't really even need a backstop because there are thousands of acres of empty land with no homes, no buildings, no roads, no hikers or campers, no trails for dirt bikers or ATV riders . No hunters either-- just empty woods.

It's been covered about different areas, Some of the counties you need your own 12 acres to be OK.

that said, get cans. I could (hypothetically) fire a suppressed 22 in a shed/my garage and my wife didn't hear it in the house. Hypothetically.

It's been covered about different areas, Some of the counties you need your own 12 acres to be OK.

that said, get cans. I could (hypothetically) fire a suppressed 22 in a shed/my garage and my wife didn't hear it in the house. Hypothetically.
If you do that, use Colibris. They're great for backyard plinking.

Back
Top Bottom