• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shooting on my land

In the pics above, the only way the set ups shown would be "safe" is if you don't really even need a backstop because there are thousands of acres of empty land with no homes, no buildings, no roads, no hikers or campers, no trails for dirt bikers or ATV riders . No hunters either-- just empty woods.

We can always count on you to be the voice of the boot on the back of our neck.

I want to purchase some land in north Georgia and wondering how much I really need to shoot without problems from neighbors. Again I’ll stick with handgun subs - don’t have a can

It's normal to hear gunfire where I live. Everyone shoots on their land. Doubt there has ever been a complaint. So I think the kind of neighbors you have could make a big difference, aside from the legalities.

ETA - Assuming you might want to put a house on it one day, I'd shoot for 10-ish acres if it's feasible, paying attention to the shape of the property, avoiding anything overly narrow or with buildings in close proximity on neighboring property.

I want to purchase some land in north Georgia and wondering how much I really need to shoot without problems from neighbors. Again I’ll stick with handgun subs - don’t have a can
Not sure what the canned response is about but there is no definitive answer to this question. Depends on distance to other dwelling, topography, vegetation, prevailing winds, neighbor's temperment.
Buy as much as you can afford. Be legal per ordinances and then invite neighbors over to shoot.
I had only 8+ acres and a great neighbor. Zero issues.

How often you shoot, and how many rounds per shooting session, will make a difference in the level of annoyance you may cause your neighbors.

One thing I try to do when I'm shooting in my backyard or up at my hunting property (neighbors homes are 200 yards away in two different directions) is to NOT start off with a high-powered rifle.

I make my first noise with .22s fired out of a rifle --usually standard velocity loads .

That puts the neighbors on notice that I'm shooting, and does it without startling them.

After a few minutes of that, I feel free to open fire with whatever I brought that day.

We can always count on you to be the voice of the boot on the back of our neck.

Well, tell you what:

why don't you tell me whatever bull**** you want to hear,
and I'll repeat that lie back for you, so you can feel confident that you're correct?

I've had shooting ranges that I was a member of closed down by neighbors filing court actions.

I have consulted with other range operators regarding my legal services as an attorney, when faced with the county government trying to close their range at the urging of pissed-off neighbors.

But what do I know?

1) How much land do we need ...

2) If we fence in the shooting range and add sound absorbing insulation ...

I want to purchase some land in north Georgia ...I’ll stick with handgun subs - don’t have a can
What are the laws in north Georgia?

Screw the law. It's a free country. Shoot how you want. Anything else is a 2nd Amendment infringement. You got me and Rolling Trip's permission.

I looked into this for myself and settled on 10ac minimum but very dependent on the elevations. So my practical limit is double at 20ac or more.

Back
Top Bottom