• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

shore/beach fishing on tybee island????

hoochfisher

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
21   1
Reaction score
going down in 2 weeks and want to get in a little fishing while the family swims.

id rather not fish the main pier with the crowds. in the past ive seen no fishing signs at the beach but have seen people fishing from the beach around the lighthouse area. what's the legality of beach fishing on tybee? I've tried to find it in the regs but cannot. so where would I be able to let the family swim while I walk a bit away and fish?

id really like to catch some small sharks like we always do when we camp at Ft MacAllister campground. where on Tybee would be a good spot to try for them? but i'm good with any type of fish as long as im catching something.

and id like to stay as close to the main pier beach as possible since that's where the family will be.

thanks for whatever help anyone can give me with this.

from the few beaches i have fished at, they dont mind if there are no swimmers around where you are fishing at. not sure on the legality, but thats what the lifegaurds told me.

That's what I'm really hoping someone knows the facts on. I've seen many no fishing signs on tybee, even near the lighthouse, but I've also seen folks fishing near the lighthouse too.

We are just doing a tightly budgeted, quick 2 day trip to savannah/tybee. Kind of a spur of the moment trip, but not. Not the kind of "save up" vacation we normally take. So there's no room in my budget for a dang fishing ticket!

I was at Tybee the first week of June and did some shore fishing. There is the corner where the Savannah River meets the ocean and I was fishing and caught quite a few sharks there. They were mostly small sharks but did catch one about 3'. You can fish on the corner and the family can be a the beach also. It is also quite nice to see the large cargo ships coming in and out there. I was using finger mullet cut in pieces worked really well. I would suggest taking some pvc pole holders if you aren't holding your rod all the time as the fish hit hard and fast.

Thanks man. I plan to just hold the pole the whole time though. Since i freshwater trout fish very often, im used to it. ill probably wade about waist deep to stay cool while i fish.

i know them little 1-3' sharks hammer the line, thats why i want to try to just fish for them. ive got a few 7-9' med-hvy catfish rods i plan to use. They have always worked well when we camp at Ft MacAllister and fish the brackish river at the campground. Every time we have camped there we either got a ray or a 1-3' shark every cast.

Back
Top Bottom