• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Short Logon Timeouts

BAR64

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
6   0
Reaction score
Im no internet guru, but I know when we log on a cookie is set which keeps us logged on for a pre-determined amount of time. This forum has the shortest logon timeout I've seen on anything but a banking website.

Why? 24 hours is the preferred logon timeout for most websites, even EBay. What's the deal?

Thanks!

Im no internet guru, but I know when we log on a cookie is set which keeps us logged on for a pre-determined amount of time. This forum has the shortest logon timeout I've seen on anything but a banking website.

Why? 24 hours is the preferred logon timeout for most websites, even EBay. What's the deal?

Thanks!

Man I'm with you there! You don't even have to "time out", just try and post in a thread and nope. You have to refresh, log in and then hope you post in time. It soooo sux!

And maybe I don't want a computer to remember me, what then? Just set the forum to keep me logged in, how about that?

Thanks!

Man I'm with you there! You don't even have to "time out", just try and post in a thread and nope. You have to refresh, log in and then hope you post in time. It soooo sux!

And maybe I don't want a computer to remember me, what then? Just set the forum to keep me logged in, how about that?

Please try clearing your cookies for this site and click the "remember me" box. I honestly can't remember the last time I had to sign on.

Hit "Remember me" box under user name before login.

Doesn't work for me. Sometimes I do a little research on something for sale and when I go to reply, I've already timed out. It's aggravating, especially when I have just begun to see what's new for the day. Everything gets marked and makes it difficult to see what's actually new.

Recap: "Remember Me" does not remember me.

Doesn't work for me. Sometimes I do a little research on something for sale and when I go to reply, I've already timed out. It's aggravating, especially when I have just begun to see what's new for the day. Everything gets marked and makes it difficult to see what's actually new.

Recap: "Remember Me" does not remember me.

It's a cookie issue then , clear your browser cookies and see if it helps.

Thanks for the replies. Some browsers have settings that automatically delete history and cookies upon exit. Some people delete on purpose (I do), some may not know its happening at all. Remember me is ok for those who don't clear their stuff regularly, but is it possible to increase the default timeout on the cookie that's set without checking the remember me box? ...not sure if its something you can control on vbulletin or not.

Checking remember me is fine now that I know to check it - I just wanted to be able to log on once a session, so that should work for me.

Thanks!
BAR64

Thanks for the replies. Some browsers have settings that automatically delete history and cookies upon exit. Some people delete on purpose (I do), some may not know its happening at all. Remember me is ok for those who don't clear their stuff regularly, but is it possible to increase the default timeout on the cookie that's set without checking the remember me box? ...not sure if its something you can control on vbulletin or not.

Checking remember me is fine now that I know to check it - I just wanted to be able to log on once a session, so that should work for me.

Thanks!
BAR64

I think if you don't have "remember me" clicked it logs you out after 15 minutes of inactivity. As long as you're active it will keep you logged in.

Back
Top Bottom