• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shortage of ammo(A.K.A. Not prepared)

I made a couple deals into calibers I hadn't committed to. They had nothing to do with the panic, they were just good deals. I had zero ammo for them though. I figure the ammo shortage is temporary so I'll scrape by until it levels out.

Hey, some of us haven't been into firearms for 10+ years, we're not all that old, lol.

I made a couple deals into calibers I hadn't committed to. They had nothing to do with the panic, they were just good deals. I had zero ammo for them though. I figure the ammo shortage is temporary so I'll scrape by until it levels out.

Hey, some of us haven't been into firearms for 10+ years, we're not all that old, lol.

as long as your go-to guns are well fed, having safe queens and collectors items that cant eat isnt a bad thing.

I certainly understand wanting to have at least 1k rounds per caliber but whats the point of keeping the stockpile if not to use it during shortages like now?

What I have, gets used on a FIFO(First In First Out) rotation. Ammo has an incredible shelf life but it still never hurts to rotate.

My inventory is not because I want to be able to keep plinking/target practice up but because I want to be prepared for emergencies. If the shortage passes as we all figure it will, I can pick up the shooting pace again. In the mean time, if SHTF I am ready with a nice stock pile. Keep in mind that I can only shoot one long gun and one hand gun at a time. The rest are, as Tech Jacket says, for immediate family and to arm a core group if one has to be formed. Preparedness doesn't stop at your front door unless you can truly stand alone.

Also, my guns are for specific purposes. Lever guns in vehicles for emergencies/stranded situations. They are cheap, reliable and legal in every state...so far. Henry survivors in the BoBs for supplementing emergency rations and scavenging with small game and in direst emergencies will help with defense. They are also small and relatively light and eat cheap, lightweight ammo. Handguns(Glocks in my case due to low maintenance, simplicity and interchangeable barrels for caliber/ammo scavenging) secured in vehicles, on my person and the wife's and in various safe locations within easy access for instant, personal protection. Shotgun for home defense. Evil black guns for EOTWAWKI possibility or if it all goes to hell and we have to get all Patrick Henry up in here.

But the guns and ammo are all part of a total package that includes other weapons, (knives, bow, spear and even working on learning again how to use a sling shot effectively), food storage for both short and long term as well as renewable sources(looking into aquaponics and rabbits & chickens), water storage, fuel for cooking and heating, camping gear...etc...

Last edited:
What I have, gets used on a FIFO(First In First Out) rotation. Ammo has an incredible shelf life but it still never hurts to rotate.

My inventory is not because I want to be able to keep plinking/target practice up but because I want to be prepared for emergencies. If the shortage passes as we all figure it will, I can pick up the shooting pace again. In the mean time, if SHTF I am ready with a nice stock pile. Keep in mind that I can only shoot one long gun and one hand gun at a time. The rest are, as Tech Jacket says, for immediate family and to arm a core group if one has to be formed. Preparedness doesn't stop at your front door unless you can truly stand alone.

Also, my guns are for specific purposes. Lever guns in vehicles for emergencies/stranded situations. They are cheap, reliable and legal in every state...so far. Henry survivors in the BoBs for supplementing emergency rations and scavenging with small game and in direst emergencies will help with defense. They are also small and relatively light and eat cheap, lightweight ammo. Handguns(Glocks in my case due to low maintenance, simplicity and interchangeable barrels for caliber/ammo scavenging) secured in vehicles, on my person and the wife's and in various safe locations within easy access for instant, personal protection. Shotgun for home defense. Evil black guns for EOTWAWKI possibility or if it all goes to hell and we have to get all Patrick Henry up in here.

But the guns and ammo are all part of a total package that includes other weapons, (knives, bow, spear and even working on learning again how to use a sling shot effectively), food storage for both short and long term as well as renewable sources(looking into aquaponics and rabbits & chickens), water storage, fuel for cooking and heating, camping gear...etc...
Wow that's what i call ready, hopefully Ill be as ready as you one day but for now I need to keep plinking so I will be able to hit anything if need arises.

The first thing you learn when you start preparing is that you are never prepared. LOL! Every time I look at my food storage I smile, notice how much room I still have to put stuff and start thinking about getting more. Heck, 50 cents a can for veggies...I can get a few more right? Is 300 cans enough? Eeps!

haha yes there is newer enough cause we don't really know what we are preparing for, I am grossly underpreperd for any scenario but when i recollect how badly prepared I was a year ago I don't feel as bad about it :)

Back
Top Bottom