Shortage? What shortage?

mtdawg169

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
So I've been tracking down 22lr since January, primarily due to purchasing a suppressor earlier this year from Jake. It created a new found enjoyment for me and I sort of rediscovered the 22, which I hadn't shot in years. Almost all of my purchases have been online, with the exception of a handful of boxes picked up occasionally at Gander. No waiting in lines, no scoping out stores on shipment days and NO ridiculous flipper purchases. Every round has been purchased for between $0.04 - $0.10 / round from, midway, cabelas, PSA, etc. Mostly cci & federal and a decent amount of Remington. My best guess is an average of $0.06-$0.07 / round. As a result of sporadic purchases, a brick or two at a time, I had ammo stashed in a few places and really didn't know how much I had accumulated. I recently reorganized my ammo and got around to taking a 22lr inventory tonight. Turns out, I'm sitting on 18-19k rounds! HOLY CRAP! That doesn't count what I've already shot up, which is close to 3k. I honestly thought I was around 8k before taking inventory. I think I'm done. No more 22 purchases for a while for me. I may be kicking myself if prices ever get back to "normal", but I'm just glad that I'm set for a while. Just goes to show you, there's REALLY no reason to tolerate flippers or to believe that there's no ammo to be found. It's out there if you look hard enough.

Last edited:
Hoarder! That's as bad as "Flipping"!!!... :) ....mikey357

I shoot my stuff! A real hoarder would just keep on buying. ;) I'll actually be spreading some of it around to friends and family now that I figured out what I've got. Conversely, I've bought almost no 9mm or 5.56 in 2 years and have gotten really slim. Prices have gotten back down to pre-panic levels on those (~$0.23 for 9mm & $0.32 for 5.56mm) Right now, I've got about a 30 day supply of 9mm (1k) and I need to shift gears back to centerfire.

By the way, I heard a rumor that you were thinking about an AR build (pistol?). Let me and TJ know when you want to get it put together. Happy to help out with that if you need a hand or tools.

So I've been tracking down 22lr since January, primarily due to purchasing a suppressor earlier this year from Jake. It created a new found enjoyment for me and I sort of rediscovered the 22, which I hadn't shot in years. Almost all of my purchases have been online, with the exception of a handful of boxes picked up occasionally at Gander. No waiting in lines, no scoping out stores on shipment days and NO ridiculous flipper purchases. Every round has been purchased for between $0.04 - $0.10 / round from, midway, cabelas, PSA, etc. Mostly cci & federal and a decent amount of Remington. My best guess is an average of $0.06-$0.07 / round. As a result of sporadic purchases, a brick or two at a time, I had ammo stashed in a few places and really didn't know how much I had accumulated. I recently reorganized my ammo and got around to taking a 22lr inventory tonight. Turns out, I'm sitting on 18-19k rounds! That doesn't count what I've already shot up, which is close to 3k. I honestly thought I was around 8k before taking inventory. I think I'm done. No more 22 purchases for a while for me. I may be kicking myself if prices ever get back to "normal", but I'm just glad that I'm set for a while. Just goes to show you, there's REALLY no reason to tolerate flippers or to believe that there's no ammo to be found. It's out there if you look hard enough.
g bricks on sale

And I thought I was doing good with 7500 rounds. Be buying bricks on sale since the 70's, yea been shooting a lot too.

g bricks on sale

And I thought I was doing good with 7500 rounds. Be buying bricks on sale since the 70's, yea been shooting a lot too.

Roger that. I don't want anyone to think that I posted this to brag. It just sort of sank in after I counted it up and I thought, "this is sort of ridiculous". But what it really impressed upon me was that there really isn't a shortage, just a bunch of idiots like me buying it up. It's alot easier and less expensive to do with 22lr. I've just bought a little bit at a time, consistently, and it didn't take long to accumulate.

4 cents a round is the most I'll pay for bulk .22. I have no idea how much I have because I dump into zip locks and cram it into 30 cal Mil surp Ammo cans. I have 2 cans full, most of which I've had for many years but some I've picked up here and there just to try different brands. Hell...I have a couple of boxes of subsonic and I don't suppress and never plan to. It's funny. I don't need any and have no plans to buy any. But I still get pissed off at the bare shelves and can't help myself from going to check availability...even though I wouldn't buy any if they had it.

I also got a 22 suppressor from Jake. (Which he still has) I am also stocking up on 22 lr when ever I find some. Because I know when it gets out of jail Ill be doing a lot of shooting

I also got a 22 suppressor from Jake. (Which he still has) I am also stocking up on 22 lr when ever I find some. Because I know when it gets out of jail Ill be doing a lot of shooting

I can't stress it enough, keep an eye on Cabela's, PSA and Midway. Take advantage of free / reduced shipping when you can. By the time your can gets out of jail, you'll be swimming in ammo. Also, check out the ammobot app for your phone.

Back
Top Bottom