• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotshell loading question- rusty primers?

FamDoc2892

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
235   0
Reaction score
I recently "inherited" some old shotshell primers, some of which (near the bottom of the stack) show some surface rust. I'm a rifle reloader, so I'm in unfamiliar territory, but is there any reason to keep/use a primer that shows rust? I'm imagining all sorts of undesirable possibilities, and safety comes first!

I used to camp up on top of blue ridge. Not uncommon for trainees to leave unspent blanks in the fire pits within the surrounding national forest. LOL! DOn't do this.

Jglenn, I understand the concept, but the whole reason this is unfamiliar territory is that rifle primers are brass; they don't rust. It was something of a surprise to find that not only the shotshell primers but also the "brass" on shotshells sticks to my sorting magnet with speed and a loud "thwack"!

Clarence, what you're saying is that rusty shells and rusty primers ignite just fine? I simply haven't tried it, so I don't know.

Last edited:
I've had some older shotgun primers that showed corrosion around the edges of the cup. I've used them without problem.

I don't think it's ferrous rust you are seeing. If it's a brass alloy used for the primer cup, it's corrosion resistant, but not immune to corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom