• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shower thoughts on Universal Background Checks

I don't typically ask to see anything unless I have doubts, and it's not to copy their information, it's just for peace of mind - and so if I am ever in a position to be questioned, I can say "yeah, he was old enough and from this state".
There is nothing wrong with that. If you have doubts (reasonable suspicion) then either don't do the deal or ask them to prove they are who they say they are, of legal age, a resident of the state etc. That is sticking to the letter of the law. To ask to see that info when there is no reasonable doubt is a different story all together.

4473s for second hand firearms are NEARLY COMPLETELY useless if they DIDN'T come through a distributor (i.e., Century Arms or other importer) in regards to "tracing firearms purchases."

They are of limited utility in tracing purchases of "new" guns too. Complete waste of time and resources.
The 4473's get filed at the LGS, correct? I thought that LEO's had the ability to track a firearm from the manufacturer, to the dealer, and that once the dealer was identified, the LEO could go to the dealer and ask for the 4473 form? I have never been or worked at an FFL so I really don't know for certain.

There is nothing wrong with that. If you have doubts (reasonable suspicion) then either don't do the deal or ask them to prove they are who they say they are, of legal age, a resident of the state etc. That is sticking to the letter of the law. To ask to see that info when there is no reasonable doubt is a different story all together.
Agreed, wholeheartedly.

The 4473's get filed at the LGS, correct? I thought that LEO's had the ability to track a firearm from the manufacturer, to the dealer, and that once the dealer was identified, the LEO could go to the dealer and ask for the 4473 form? I have never been or worked at an FFL so I really don't know for certain.
There is no index or filing system that allows a "search" of 4473s for firearms that did not ship to the dealer from a distributor or manufacturer. If there was, they'd never admit it while it's still "illegal" for such a system to exist.

The new electronic 4473s will make it possible though to trace a serial number to a purchaser much more easily. They won't say that though.

There is no index or filing system that allows a "search" of 4473s for firearms that did not ship to the dealer from a distributor or manufacturer. If there was, they'd never admit it while it's still "illegal" for such a system to exist.

The new electronic 4473s will make it possible though to trace a serial number to a purchaser much more easily. They won't say that though.
Gotcha...like in the instance of purchasing a second hand gun from pawn shop. I'd bet my last dollar that if it is digitized, it is already being utilized by the government...most likely via some obscure terroristic threat law.

If I recall correctly, the murderer who shot and killed a Cobb County deputy serving a warrant for his brother a year and a half ago worked at a gun store and was a CWL holder...just sayin', nothing's perfect.
I was gonna say, plenty of other shooters who've made the news purchased legally at a gun store too.

There is no index or filing system period. The only way they can trace a firearm is to call the individual FFL and ask for the information, which we are required by law to give them. They call and say they need a trace, they give the serial number, manufacturer and model, when it shipped and who it was shipped from (wholesaler).
The new electronic 4473s are not transmitted to anyone. It is just a system which is only on your hard drive, not externally accessible. Like Quickbooks or similar. If ATF wants a trace even with an electronically filed 4473 they still have to call the FFL and request the info. At least for now.

Local and state LEO do not have that ability. They have to call and request it through the ATF. ATF would call the dealer and ask for the info. At least to the best of my knowledge.

Meh, I don’t need a peek. Roll up looking like a gang banger, smelling like weed…don’t care if you have a permit or not. Look like a normal person, I don’t care if you have a permit or not.
Can we please leave the weed out of this.

Back
Top Bottom