• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shower thoughts on Universal Background Checks

jimireece

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
15   0
Reaction score
While doing my best work this morning, I had a thought I wanted to pitch out.

Georgia is now a permitless carry state. While there are still some benefits to having a Weapon Carry License WCL (reciprocity in other states, and reduced waiting periods for purchases from an FFL). To some people those benefits might be worth fingerprints and $75.

I see alot of listing in the forum with the seller listing "a peek at GDL and WCL". I have pushed too hard on folks if a current WCL is a condition of sale.

My point is this; if we the gun community refuse to engage in private transactions without proof of government background check, then why do the calls for universal background checks cause such uproar in our group?

I hold no animosity against sellers that ask for a peek, you handle your business how you want. I'm just curious if the hypocrisy is apparent to everyone and what other folks think about it.

IMHO, asking for a peek at a WCL/DL is NOT the same as a Universal Background Check - a peek at a WCL just allows the seller peace of mind to know that he isn't breaking the law (at face value). The problem that I have with UBC is that the purchase is RECORDED and cataloged, and will/could ultimately be used for confiscation, harassment, and grouping of "free" Americans. This is why I personally wouldn't purchase a weapon in a private sell if I were required to sign a 'billow sail'. If I wanted my information cataloged and documented I would just go to a gun store instead of purchasing on ODT... probably get a better price too! LOL

FACT: Universal background checks when implemented will require a FFL dealer and 4473 with an NICS background check. It's not about a person being able/legal, it's about registration. You're talking about actions and not consequences. These are two separate issues captured in one feel good idea.

While doing my best work this morning, I had a thought I wanted to pitch out.

Georgia is now a permitless carry state. While there are still some benefits to having a Weapon Carry License WCL (reciprocity in other states, and reduced waiting periods for purchases from an FFL). To some people those benefits might be worth fingerprints and $75.

I see alot of listing in the forum with the seller listing "a peek at GDL and WCL". I have pushed too hard on folks if a current WCL is a condition of sale.

My point is this; if we the gun community refuse to engage in private transactions without proof of government background check, then why do the calls for universal background checks cause such uproar in our group?

I hold no animosity against sellers that ask for a peek, you handle your business how you want. I'm just curious if the hypocrisy is apparent to everyone and what other folks think about it.
I let people "peek" IF I really want something. Bout as far as I go is look at a license plate for GA...

I keep my carry permit active for travel and FFL/gun show. Nothing like low balling a dealer late sunday at the gunshow. you aren't getting that deal if they have to take 30min to call it in. I can fill out a 4473 in 1 min flat. maybe less.

IMHO, asking for a peek at a WCL/DL is NOT the same as a Universal Background Check - a peek at a WCL just allows the seller piece of mind to know that he isn't breaking the law (at face value). The problem that I have with UBC is that the purchase is RECORDED and cataloged, and will/could ultimately be used for confiscation, harassment, and grouping of "free" Americans. This is why I personally wouldn't purchase a weapon in a private sell if I were required to sign a 'billow sail'. If I wanted my information cataloged and documented I would just go to a gun store instead of purchasing on ODT... probably get a better price too! LOL
I sort of agree with the OP though. We all bitch and moan here about the government violating our rights, and bemoan having to have had a WCL in the first place. And now that we are constitutional carry we don't need one anyways. So the only reason to get one and get fingerprinted is for FFL ease of purchase or state reciprocity. So I get his point of, why then do we see so many here ask to see one as a condition?

I get it, their stuff their rules, but to me it's a turn off. And I absolutely agree with you, you WILL get a better deal at an LGS than here on ODT these days. :lol:

As for me I'll never ask to see a peek of your permit.

The problem with the "Piece of mind" argument, is you really don't know. We don't know if they've got something pending but still have their permit in their pocket, we don't really know if/what their intentions are purchasing it, we don't know if they're buying it for their Uncle who's got a felony. It's the same argument as asking for a BoS for piece of mind. It doesn't really do anything.

I sort of agree with the OP though. We all bitch and moan here about the government violating our rights, and bemoan having to have had a WCL in the first place. And now that we are constitutional carry we don't need one anyways. So the only reason to get one and get fingerprinted is for FFL ease of purchase or state reciprocity. So I get his point of, why then do we see so many here ask to see one as a condition?

I get it, their stuff their rules, but to me it's a turn off. And I absolutely agree with you, you WILL get a better deal at an LGS than here on ODT these days. :lol:

The problem with the "Piece of mind" argument, is you really don't know. We don't know if they've got something pending but still have their permit in their pocket, we don't really know if/what their intentions are purchasing it, we don't know if they're buying it for their Uncle who's got a felony. It's the same argument as asking for a BoS for piece of mind. It doesn't really do anything.
100% **** peace of mind and BOS. when you sell a weapon...**** COULD happen. Any of that **** is outside of our sphere of influence.

that being said...IF I showed up to a meet and dude was sketch as **** w/3 "dudes" with him...I am just gonna leave. not ask for a carry permit.

for me...Georgia carry permit is for travel in reciprocating states(95% of my travel) and FFL/gun show. $75 has probably saved me at least 4 hrs of time in the past 5 years LOLOLOL.

Maybe it isn't worth it.

I don't disagree, the "peace of mind" that I was referring to comes with being able to tell a judge that you performed some type of due diligence. I realize that an individual could simply say "I don't remember", if they were asked about the individual that they sold to. The only time that I ask to peak at a WCL is if I have doubts during a sale (e.g., age, shady individual, etc.). I think that it's only happened one time. I have a WCL due to the benefits of reciprocity, I travel a lot with work and most all of the states I travel to reciprocate a GA WCL.

Back
Top Bottom