• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sig 716 feeding problems

I am going back to the range today. This is what I will do in order to eliminate questions.

1- Use 3 different mags
2- Use 3 different types of ammo ( all different manufactures )
3- Break down the rifle before I go and clean all components. I use CLP on all my guns.

The picture in the OP is what happened when I loaded one round in the mag and then slowly pulled the charging handle back to chamber it. The tip of the round caught the edge and stopped the BCG, resting on the back of the casing.
I will report what happens when I get back. Thanks for all the input from members!!

are you riding the bolt forward? never do that. pull the charging handle all the way back and release. let it slam forward to chamber a round under its own power.

I will do this at the range. Leaving now, be back in a few

******UPDATE******

Turns out that it was a stuck extractor! Justin at The Trading Place took it apart, there was a lot of metal shavings compacted in the spring. This also answers why I was having light primer strikes. I ran a few mags through it with NO PROBLEMS! Thanks to all the Members here for helping me out.

I think its an engineering problem personally, I researched this when I bought my Ruger SR762. Everyone is having this problem (just google it) and if you see pics of the ruger chamber vs this one it is obvious its a horrible design compared to how Ruger is doing it on the AR10, I love sig but they screwed the pooch on this one. I wish there was a quick fix, I think sending it in they grind a feed ramp into it but not a do it yourself fix. Sorry bud - Good Luck!

I have to say I have never had a problem with mine. Impressed with the accuracy and the function since new. The one thing I have seen cause too many problems is how nasty the thing is when new. Everyone I have talked to with problems has not cleaned the thing thouroughly. I don't mean a field strip and wipe down, disassembly of the bolt and spraying everything out with gun cleaner. My bolt on the 716 had metal shavings and grease on the firing pin and extractor just like you describe, but I caught it all before my first trip to the range. It seems like this issue causes enough bad press that it would be worthwhile for Sig to pay a little extra attention to cleanliness, but I guess not...

Back
Top Bottom