Simple but fun target stand upgrade

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Built this target stand last year to hold a gong:

IMG_20230624_165240238[1].jpg

Decided it need more target possibilities, so today I added a board on top with some cable staples banged in:

IMG_20230624_165726472[1].jpg

Slide some clothespins under the cable staples:

IMG_20230624_165813813[1].jpg

The clothespins hold these Whiteflyer clays perfectly. Also tied a couple of strings to the last two cable staples, with clips on the opposite ends, which are good for hanging cans by the tabs.

IMG_20230624_170549639[1].jpg

And tested, of course:

IMG_20230624_174751771[1].jpg

Can't claim credit for the idea. Came across a video on Youtube where a gal glued the clotheline pins to the board. My improvement was the cable staples as holders for the pins, making them easier and faster to replace if they get hit.

P.S. I haven't had a lot of time to shoot in the last year or so. Boy, am I rusty.

If you don't practice, the skills go into hiding.

Reactions: GFB
Built this target stand last year to hold a gong:

View attachment 5874021

Decided it need more target possibilities, so today I added a board on top with some cable staples banged in:

View attachment 5874022

Slide some clothespins under the cable staples:

View attachment 5874025

The clothespins hold these Whiteflyer clays perfectly. Also tied a couple of strings to the last two cable staples, with clips on the opposite ends, which are good for hanging cans by the tabs.

View attachment 5874029

And tested, of course:

View attachment 5874031

Can't claim credit for the idea. Came across a video on Youtube where a gal clued the clotheline pins to the board. My improvement was the cable staples as holders for the pins, making them easier and faster to replace if they get hit.
That must be a Great feeling being able to shot on your own land, Congratulations. I hit the range this week and went to Bullseye, I like Bullseye, but if I had my have , own land I would shoot more.

Shot at Bullseye for years. Wilson Shoals on occassion. Became less enthusiastic about public range shooting after having loaded guns pointed at me more than once.

Gongs are fun.
I have two gongs, each mounted with steel wire to its own wooden bar that spans a six-foot distance between to rusty, bullet-dented posts from a weightlifting set-- the bench press.

But the next time I need to replace the cables, or if the wood rots or gets shot in half,
I think I'll use a thicker wooden bar (maybe cut down a 3" diameter sapling, with a very straight trunk, just for this?) and hang BOTH the 12" gong and the 4" gong together, only spaced maybe a foot apart.

Back
Top Bottom