• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Simple Gunsmithing question for a lever on an old JM Marlin

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
Took the lever out to clean the gun. No issues unscrewing whatsover. Now the bolt won't thread back in. It goes in the other way easy, but the threads on the bolt are not long enough to chase the threads, if there is a nick in the threads in the receiver threads.

So, if I get a long enough bolt with the same threads, pitch, etc., and run it on the other side through, will this chase out any minor abnormalities on the threads? And if so, what size thread/pitch/etc., is this? Cause I spent about 30 minutes at an Ace Hardware yesterday, and nothing worked.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20221212_100343.jpg
    thumbnail_20221212_100343.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 25
  • thumbnail_20221212_101308.jpg
    thumbnail_20221212_101308.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 25
It could be that you've nicked the shoulder of the bolt a tad bit and it won't go over the the step in the Bolt. No need treaded step up to smooth part. That's what's happening just working it back and forth a little bit you haven't got past the shoulder.

In the pic where the bolt looks like it is in the receiver ( but it is not threaded), if I take the bolt out, and thread it through the other side (as if it were going backwards), it goes in easily. Maybe the 1st thread or 2 on the receiver is nicked? Hard to see.

I remember now. Its actual thread is a .210x28.
I think I got a 12-28 bolt and turned the diameter down to .210. Then cut two slits on each side to catch any debris. It was a good little project but worked perfectly. You aren’t going to find a tap in the correct size

Have you had any success? Take a flashlight and flip it over to see if the threads have met yet. That should be fairly straightforward . In other words the tip of the bolt is at the edge of the threads look down inside that threaded hole and see if it's hit or if it's just a little bit away from those threads. If the threads have not made contact yet then take the end of the screwdriver and just lightly ( and I do mean very lightly ) tap the lever screw until the threads meet. I'm fairly certain that the screw is not going all the way down until the threads meet. In the pic the threads look fine and the starting point is in excellent condition so it should pick up the first thread immediately upon contact. That's just from the view of the pic you provided and the start of the threads does look unmolested. Also take the lever out and then try putting the screw back in and you should be able to get a better view of the screw and if the shoulder is actually going past the starting point of the threaded lever lug. Just give that a quick try and see what happens. This is just a remedial test but it can eliminate one variable.

OK, thanks. I think I got that exact size from ACE: 12-28. So, what is the best way to "turn" down to .210, if I don't have a lathe or anything sophisticated?

Drill and file, spin it up and carefully file the threads, using a caliper to measure….cut longways slots in it to remove debris, and if you cut them the right way, they will act as a cut face to clean up the threads

Back
Top Bottom