• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Simple Gunsmithing question for a lever on an old JM Marlin

I probably just a piece of trash in there it's blow it out and then try to put the screw all the way in without the lever first. That way you can kind of see what's going on. And then give us another picture of that screw the first pic does not show any signs of cross threading.

It will not thread it because the major diameter is too big. Chuck it up in a drill and put some 400 grit to it. Measure until you get .210. I think it starts at .216.

OK, thanks. I think I got that exact size from ACE: 12-28. So, what is the best way to "turn" down to .210, if I don't have a lathe or anything sophisticated?
.210 by 28 is a special unique gun thread. I don't know if you're going to be able to get that kind of thread at a hardware store. I looked at numeric gun parts in there completely out of stock on that part but it's only 8 bucks if they did have it. Just be real careful what you do with that because you might be without a gun during season if you're not careful. Inspect those threads one more time and show us a pic of both sides just to give us a better idea of how to guide you.

I'm sorry for the excess post but that shoulder screw like that is damn near impossible to cross thread. Just for my own curiosity MidwayUSA does carry them for $3 and some change. But I just think you got some trash in there that's making the screw drag.

Open the lever about 1/3 of the way and make sure the other end of the lever is in the slot of the bolt and see if the bolt will start. Any incorrect alignment will have the screw canted. If this works, what do I win?
Sounds about right to me. I always put the screws in with the lever open. That way I could align the holes and slip in the screw. That didn't occur to me to you just said it. And I refinished three Marlins in the last 6 months. However he said he tried to put the screw in without the lever so that negates that theory.

Here ya go
3737C448-1851-47C9-BFE4-1E34CFF3DA0C.jpeg
FCAAF47D-B640-4486-AA4B-D8388C1D2569.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom