• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Single or progressive reloader for starting out

This topic has been covered extensively if the replies here a slim, there is a lot of information in the archives. My opinion is an RCBS turret or single stage kit. You will always need one if those type presses. If you are going for extreme precision, there is a Forster press in the classifieds.

I am a beginner myself. I would recommend single stage to start especially for rifle calibers. I tried the lock and load bushing system and wasn't all that impressed with it. I felt like I was getting movement on the resizing step. I prefer just the locking nuts on the dies. It doesn't take that long to spin them in.
I ended up with more than one single stage (found a bargain here on ODT) and have them mounted side by side so I can setup two steps, it just takes double the amount of shell holders that way.
The press is only a small part of the process. There is also brass prep, and powder measure to consider.

I am just getting started as well and started with a Lee Classic single stage press that was given to me by a friend. I added all other items to my set up from ODT classifieds and sale items from Midway and others to save money etc. My son gave me a Giraud 223 Tri Way trimmer for my birthday that I mounted to. 1/2 hp electric motor that works great. This is the biggest PITA when loading 223. I load for accuracy so not worried about speed but I can easily load 100 rounds in an hour if using same powder weight. I have all my dies set up with the Hornady lock rings and only have to adjust bullet seating depths. I highly recommend that you get one of the reloading manuals as they cover all aspects from A-Z. I have a Lyman 50th edition. Good luck and I expect you will enjoy this aspect of shooting like many do. I will properly never by another factory load unless it is rimfire.

If reloading to save money it won't happen, don't even start if that's the reason you want to start reloading if your only needing a couple at a time. if loading 500-1500 of one caliper L@@k at THE DILLON 550B, tool head for each caliber of dies, powder set up for each caliber, powder check get the HORNADY LOCK AND LOAD POWDER DISPENSER, $ 148.99, NOW ON SALE AT MIDSOUTH SHOOTERS SUPPLY, normally $249.00 and up. Get the manuals, HODGDON, NOSLER, HORNADY, SPEER, the older books are a great resources of info also, and they can tell you a lot about different calibers and how they came about.

When you get to loading 2,000 - 5,000 at a time then jump up to the THE BIG BLUE DILLON XL650, and its a whole new world from there on. DILLON, has the best quality, best customer service we have ever experienced hands down from an progressive reloading manufacturer and we have used them all.

RCBS, hands down on their dies, extractor pins, they fit the 7/8-14 tool heads with no problems.We have now used DILLON/RCBS, products for over 45 years. Both manufacturers have replaced parts that broke or bent even when it was our fault, now try to get others to do some yes and many no...

Yes, we started out with the RCBS ROCK CHUCKER, wore out the main shaft 3 times+ it was replaced free each and every time, buy quality and not just cheap, you get what you pay for but quality ain't cheap, so don't only consider price only!!! However do check the internet it can help you get the best price for your quality products.

Reloading is a passion, pride in what you load, a DILLON BIG BLUE TUMBLER, is a great asset for cleaning your brass first, LEE DEPRIMER DIE, is great to remove all primers and then clean the primer pockets, and a large, and small primer pocket tool to square up the primer pocket bases.

Reloading is a passion or love of making the best quality loads you can, then load your finished ammo into the DILLON TUMBLER, to re-clean, the finished ammo one last time, after that take a terry cloth towel and wipe down each piece to clean the tumbling media
residue off the finished ammo, thus keeping your gun as clean and residue free as possible.

Then when you go to range other reloaders will notice your shinny clean brass and comment to you on it. You will be exchanging information and you just might learn something too... We have made several friends from the range, we communicate on different
calibers and load data usually 2-4 times a week. This helps each other from having to burn so much powder, bullets, primers, by exchanging info.

At this time we are working on a caliber, that was only a wildcat 35 years ago by THE ROY WEATHERBY, 2016 the family brought this caliber to the production line. It is the6.5-300 WBY MAG. Simply a terrific gun, plus it takes the 6.5 from 2200 muzzle velocity up to the 3400-3650 muzzle velocity. Screamer yes, but a great gun over all. We are in the testing of loads and stability of the projectile,
using 120 gr/ 130 gr, NOSLER ACCUBOND, and the 120 gr / 130 gr, BARNES TTSX.

So reloading is a hobby that pulls you in.

There are some very well experienced reloaders in this passion, one for sure is BEAR44, and REMMY, those guys are good, no not just good they massive volumes of information that may not even be in books, but they can be a very good source of information.

Reloading, is similar to fishing, hunting, there is always something to learn every time you run into a really good reloader. Preparation is the key to reloading and one big job is organization of all the products you have or attain, and you will be adding as you go.

Good luck in your quest of the reloading of the very best...

If reloading to save money it won't happen, don't even start if that's the reason you want to start reloading if your only needing a couple at a time. if loading 500-1500 of one caliper L@@k atba DILLON 550B, tool head for each caliber of dies, powder set up for each caliber, powder check get the HORNADY LOCK AND LOAD POWDER DISPENSER, $ 148.99, NOW ON SALE AT MIDSOUTH SHOOTERS SUPPLY, normally $249.00 and up. Get the manuals, HODGDON, NOSLER, HORNADY, SPEER, the older books are a great resources of info also, and they can tell you a lot about different calibers and how they came about.

When you get to loading 2,000 - 5,000 at a time then jump up to the THE BIG BLUE DILLON XL650, and its a whole new world from there on. DILLON, has the best quality, best customer service we have ever experienced hands down from an progressive reloading manufacturer and we have used them all.

RCBS, hands down on their dies, extractor pins, they fit the 7/8-14 tool heads with no problems.We have now used DILLON/RCBS, products for over 45 years. Both manufacturers have replaced parts that broke or bent even when it was our fault, now try to get others to do some yes and many no...

Yes, we started out with the RCBS ROCK CHUCKER, wore out the main shaft 3 times+ it was replaced free each and every time, buy quality and not just cheap, you get what you pay for but quality ain't cheap, so don't only consider price only!!! However do check the internet it can help you get the best price for your quality products.

Reloading is a passion, pride in what you load, a DILLON BIG BLUE TUMBLER, is a great asset for cleaning your brass first, LEE DEPRIMER DIE, is great to remove all primers and then clean the primer pockets, and a large, and small primer pocket tool to square up the primer pocket bases.

Reloading is a passion or love of making the best quality loads you can, then load your finished ammo into the DILLON TUMBLER, to re-clean, the finished ammo one last time, after that take a terry cloth towel and wipe down each piece to clean the tumbling media
residue off the finished ammo, thus keeping your gun as clean and residue free as possible.

Then when you go to range other reloaders will notice your shinny clean brass and comment to you on it. You will be exchanging information and you just might learn something too... We have made several friends from the range, we communicate on different
calibers and load data usually 2-4 times a week. This helps each other from having to burn so much powder, bullets, primers, by exchanging info.

At this time we are working on a caliber, that was only a wildcat 35 years ago by THE ROY WEATHERBY, 2016 the family brought this caliber to the production line. It is the6.5-300 WBY MAG. Simply a terrific gun, plus it takes the 6.5 from 2200 muzzle velocity up to the 3400-3650 muzzle velocity. Screamer yes, but a great gun over all. We are in the testing of loads and stability of the projectile,
using 120 gr/ 130 gr, NOSLER ACCUBOND, and the 120 gr / 130 gr, BARNES TTSX.

So reloading is a hobby that pulls you in.

There are some very well experienced reloaders in this passion, one for sure is BEAR44, and REMMY, those guys are good, no not just good they massive volumes of information that may not even be in books, but they can be a very good source of information.

Reloading, is similar to fishing, hunting, there is always something to learn every time you run into a really good reloader. Preparation is the key to reloading and one big job is organization of all the products you have or attain, and you will be adding as you go.

Good luck in your quest of the reloading of the very best...
Very good information as usual.

+1 on the single stage press. I think it will work well for your application and will never outlive its usefulness.

A single stage has a lower cost entry point and with many of those rounds being more low volume shooting it would let you get your toes wet without dumping a bunch of money into a hobby you don't know you like.

I wouldn't want to load 5.56 plinking Ammo on a single stage unless it was for national match or some kind of low volume target shooting. That's just me though, plenty of people do.

I load for match shooting, estimate 200-300 rounds per month. Garand, M-14/M1A, AR National Match.
Single stage is the way to go for several reasons.
1: more precise
2: costs less, gets the job done
PRESS: Forster Co-Ax (universal shell holder (no shell plates), open work area, primer seater works great, spent primer residue never get near the ram, quickest die change-out, free floating die auto-alignment/self-center)
Other equipment needed:
-- Brass cleaning using wet tumbling (no lead dust)
-- RCMS Chargementaster 1500
-- Annealer (Annealeez)
-- Giraud Power Trimer
-- Bullets and Primmers

It is economical to handload if you want control over components and loads. I use two Rockchuckers side by side for precision rifle and a 650 and 1050 Dillon for quantity pistol mid range target loads. If you are simply going "pew pew pew" at 15 yards at the range (I see this a lot), buy factory loads as they are cheaper now in cost adjusted dollars than they've ever been in my lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom