• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Single stack 9’s

Good smooth DA style trigger the Kahr's but nothing to offer over Glock or S&W IMO. Less aftermarket support and less of a track record for reliability (not saying unreliable just not as large of a sample size).

I went on a quest for a pocket 9, and based on that, I'd say check out the Kahr, the Ruger LCP-2 (the 9mm, 2nd generation one if I have the name wrong), and the Springfield XDs. Then decide which one to keep. I've tried them all. I kept the Kahr and the Springfield (the Kahr for pocket duty, and the 4" XDs for IWB).

The 938 has a safety, that I'll never be able to operate under stress. Likewise, the Shield. The Ruger was pretty good, but I like the Kahr trigger better (they have similar triggers), and I shoot the Kahr better. The Glock has no safety and a typical Glock trigger-- completely inappropriate for pocket carry. Belt holster carry, it would be same as any other Glock.

Wildcard: the Kel-Tecs. The PF9 is OK, but I find it harder to control than the Kahr or Ruger or Shield. The P11-- well, it's still the best bang per unit volume out there. 12+1 in something only a hair wider than the G43. Much, much smaller than a G26, but the same capacity. Mine's 20 years old, and nary a problem. Though it's at the upper end of pocket-gun size, so I don't carry it much. And a lot of folks can't shoot it worth a darn. I can, however. But I shoot a lot more than your average gun owner. Definitely easier to shoot than the PF9, as it's a bit bigger and heavier. IMO.

I'm always surprised when this subject comes up the the Ruger LC9s Pro doesn't get more mentions. Smaller than a 43 or Shield, it's got an awesome trigger, and the price is very reasonable ($319 at Cherokee G&P the last time I priced them). My only gripe with them is that they only come with one mag, but other than that, they're sweet little guns.

my brother swears by the little Rugers. For some reason, I have just not owned one. Ruger produces quality firearms and I have owned several Blackhawks and super blackhawks, I owned a few of the larger auto’s back in the late 90’s. All were well made and reliable. I owned a PF9 for a while but I didn’t feel like they were built very well. It felt cheap, and seeing that paid $150 I guess it was. I really like Glock’s and I have carried them for over 20 years on the job. That’s why I wanted the 43. Basically a scaled down version of the Glock 17 that I’m currently issued. Pocket carry isn’t an issue in a pocket holster. To be honest, the Shield really impressed me. I love those guns! I know I will probably keep it. I purchased a 40 and 45 as well. You get a lot for the money there. I want to try the 938 and may have the chance next week. The 239 may end up on the chopping block. We will see.

I'm always surprised when this subject comes up the the Ruger LC9s Pro doesn't get more mentions. Smaller than a 43 or Shield, it's got an awesome trigger, and the price is very reasonable ($319 at Cherokee G&P the last time I priced them). My only gripe with them is that they only come with one mag, but other than that, they're sweet little guns.

That's the one I meant-- LC9s Pro. They are sweet guns, though they have a non-stacking trigger like a Kahr-- the "bang" is always a surprise. I shot the Kahr better, so I sold the Ruger. But there is nothing wrong with the Ruger, if you can handle a trigger like a revolver trigger-- and I can. Prefer them, actually.

Really, borrow, rent or at least dry-fire some of these tiny single-stack nines. Your trigger preferences may simplify your choice; a lot of folks are going to reject the Ruger, Kahrs, and Kel-Tecs out of hand because they won't like the revolveresque trigger.

As an aside, I loaned a CW9 Kahr to a friend who was looking for a small gun. He brought it back to me-- after shooting Coke cans and a rabbit in his back yard. He said he couldn't miss, but he HATED the trigger even though it shot like a dream. : ) Sometimes your mileage may vary, even when it makes no sense.

The XDs has a couple of unique features in this group though-- grip safety (so you can avoid shooting yourself when reholstering on a belt, even if something gets caught in the trigger guard-- see "Glock leg". And obviously, in a pocket, a key or something can't fire it. See Glock again.). It can be had with a longer barrel-- the 4" stabilizes better under a belt, plus longer sight radius, less muzzle flip. AND-- it has 8 and 9-shot magazines with grip extension sleeves. You can carry the flush magazine in the summer, and switch to the 9-shot in winter under a coat. And/or carry the 9-shot mags as backup. Worth considering, though the trigger does stink. I carry one IWB anyway for the other reasons.

Back
Top Bottom