• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SKS conversion question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGLEW

Air Force Icon Supporter
AKA: BIG PRETTY - BDR1
446   0
Reaction score
I am hoping to get a SKS from a member on here SOON, but until then I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the SKS conversion to accept AK mags? Is it worth it? Is is dependable? Is it expensive? Whats yalls take on it?

There is a way by drilling into the bottom of the receiver right under the barrel lug (or where the barrel lug should be if you have a late chinese like myself) and then welding a little strip of metal right over where you drilled as explained in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UTG27nCChw
I would just use the duck bill mag but, some people are really anal and will give you **** about the 922r compliance blah blah blah. Really I'm planning on saving up another 200 and selling mine and getting the d or m model SKS. You can get the duckbill ones cheap on the promag website right now, I just ordered a few and you should too before everyone else on the ODT find out about them.

I really like the factory setup with the stripper clips. I have a duck bill mag, but never liked it. I could reload and shoot 30 rounds faster with stripper clips.

If it is a russian model, I would keep it factory, since it's a C&R it will likely be excempted from any future bans.

Nope not worth it I'm pretty heavy into building rifles and If I do say so my self pretty damn good with metal. It the one I converted was a nightmarei had to grind it off twice but the third times the charm. I also wasn't using any kit that you can buy, but I see very little difference in the outcome if I would have bought the kit. And plus it doesn't add value (right now it might) it just adds to sell ability. All my sks have now are standard tapco 20 round duckbill mags they work great and change out fast

I am hoping to get a SKS from a member on here SOON, but until then I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the SKS conversion to accept AK mags?
Sure can.

Is it worth it?
Nope.
Is is dependable?
Depends on who does it.

Is it expensive?
it is if it isnt free.

Whats yalls take on it?
Get an AK instead.

The SKS is designed to be fired from a fixed 10 round fixed magazine fed by clips. It works fastest that way and is the most reliable. If you want/need more than 10 at a time, get an AK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom